The bakers' thread

OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I treated myself to a new baking tool last week; a pullman pan for making pain de mie.

I fancied getting back to nice square(ish) sandwiches and toast so I bought this tin with a lid on. I followed a standard pain de mie recipe but substituted about 90g of the white flour with wholemeal to give me that extra bit of bite that I like.

pan loaf.jpg

That looks fabby @glasgowcyclist :hungry:

Is the bread the size of a typical small sliced loaf?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've never really baked before, but I can now make some very good drop scones (or scotch pancakes?).

I used 190g gluten free flour
40 grams sugar
1tsp baking powder
2tsp honey
pinch of salt
some milk

Being gluten-free flour it doesn't thicken up as much as normal flour, so I put in about 30ml less milk than the recipe called for.

I like the concentric flour rings!
That's from the banneton that's used to prove the loaf once it's been shaped.

I bake batards rather than boules, so my loaves have stripes on them :smile:

Baked a lovely batard as part of a friend's birthday gift (she prefers bread to cake!) to go with the cheese I'd also got her:

600g flour: 350g white, 200g atta (chapatti) and 50g porridge oats
375g tepid water
12g salt
2 tbsp rape seed oil
4g yeast.

Bulk ferment done in fridge overnight.

Sorry, no pics, but I hear it went down rather well.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've never really baked before, but I can now make some very good drop scones (or scotch pancakes?).

I used 190g gluten free flour
40 grams sugar
1tsp baking powder
2tsp honey
pinch of salt
some milk

Being gluten-free flour it doesn't thicken up as much as normal flour, so I put in about 30ml less milk than the recipe called for.

A really good drop scone is excellent, far better than normal pancakes IMO. Must try your version with the honey, seems a good idea. :okay:

OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I had some buttermilk to use up at the weekend so I tried another soda bread, apparently called Limerick soda bread, using fennel seeds and raisins or sultanas. It made a fairly sticky batter and looked nothing like any other dough I've made for soda bread in the past. The resulting bread is not the normal texture either; not quite bread and not quite a cake but enjoyable enough.

Limerick soda bread.jpg

For sandwiches I found this recipe, also on King Arthur's Flour, for a classic white. I always add a bit of wholemeal for a coarser texture but since I'd run out of my usual wholemeal, I used dark rye to substitute and it made a fantastic loaf. (The recipe called for 482g of all purpose flour, I switched that to 400g strong white bread flour and 82g dark rye. I might experiment with gradual increases in the rye.)

The dough is very easy to handle using the folding & resting technique and makes a wonderfully soft sandwich with a tasty crust.

Classic white with rye.jpg

Top Bottom