The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I treated myself to a new baking tool last week; a pullman pan for making pain de mie.

I fancied getting back to nice square(ish) sandwiches and toast so I bought this tin with a lid on. I followed a standard pain de mie recipe but substituted about 90g of the white flour with wholemeal to give me that extra bit of bite that I like.

pan loaf.jpg

That looks fabby @glasgowcyclist :hungry:

Is the bread the size of a typical small sliced loaf?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've never really baked before, but I can now make some very good drop scones (or scotch pancakes?).

I used 190g gluten free flour
40 grams sugar
1tsp baking powder
2tsp honey
pinch of salt
some milk

Being gluten-free flour it doesn't thicken up as much as normal flour, so I put in about 30ml less milk than the recipe called for.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
First picture is my brothers sourdough loaf. He gave me some starter at the weekend...
4507FADD-79E3-4FA0-8374-73E03A5E62C7.jpeg

A069B789-DC3E-4E09-9C75-E79ED35522D1.jpeg

9C4B9A7C-5D9C-4C5D-8F2B-E76AE3E91F24.jpeg

The second is a loaf I made yesterday. I made a bit of a cock up by scoring it, and I forgot the dough was being flipped onto the pizza stone in the oven from the chopping board, so it came out a funny shape.

Rosemary rolls is the next one. She’s a nice girl!

I like the concentric flour rings!

That's from the banneton that's used to prove the loaf once it's been shaped.

I bake batards rather than boules, so my loaves have stripes on them :smile:

Baked a lovely batard as part of a friend's birthday gift (she prefers bread to cake!) to go with the cheese I'd also got her:

600g flour: 350g white, 200g atta (chapatti) and 50g porridge oats
375g tepid water
12g salt
2 tbsp rape seed oil
4g yeast.

Bulk ferment done in fridge overnight.

Sorry, no pics, but I hear it went down rather well.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've never really baked before, but I can now make some very good drop scones (or scotch pancakes?).

I used 190g gluten free flour
40 grams sugar
1tsp baking powder
2tsp honey
pinch of salt
some milk

Being gluten-free flour it doesn't thicken up as much as normal flour, so I put in about 30ml less milk than the recipe called for.

A really good drop scone is excellent, far better than normal pancakes IMO. Must try your version with the honey, seems a good idea. :okay:

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I had some buttermilk to use up at the weekend so I tried another soda bread, apparently called Limerick soda bread, using fennel seeds and raisins or sultanas. It made a fairly sticky batter and looked nothing like any other dough I've made for soda bread in the past. The resulting bread is not the normal texture either; not quite bread and not quite a cake but enjoyable enough.

Limerick soda bread.jpg

For sandwiches I found this recipe, also on King Arthur's Flour, for a classic white. I always add a bit of wholemeal for a coarser texture but since I'd run out of my usual wholemeal, I used dark rye to substitute and it made a fantastic loaf. (The recipe called for 482g of all purpose flour, I switched that to 400g strong white bread flour and 82g dark rye. I might experiment with gradual increases in the rye.)

The dough is very easy to handle using the folding & resting technique and makes a wonderfully soft sandwich with a tasty crust.

Classic white with rye.jpg

Top Bottom