The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Bit of a different fruit scone here, made using Bowmore 17 yr old single malt...

If ever you needed smellivision, this is where it would come into its own.
Lightly smokey, vanilla and toffee scented, they are phenomenal.
Soft and fluffy inside, perfect when still warm, with plenty butter.

View attachment 461588
Oh, come on man, I had promised myself I wasn't going to have any biscuits today! Now I feel hungry.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Bit of a different fruit scone here, made using Bowmore 17 yr old single malt...

If ever you needed smellivision, this is where it would come into its own.
Lightly smokey, vanilla and toffee scented, they are phenomenal.
Soft and fluffy inside, perfect when still warm, with plenty butter.

View attachment 461588
I've shown my wife the photo. She's asking how you make the scones rise so well, hers never do. Any tips?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've shown my wife the photo. She's asking how you make the scones rise so well, hers never do. Any tips?

It's my first attempt at scones but I know that many TV bakers say don't twist the cutter when pressing out the shape as this can inhibit the rise. Cut straight down firmly.

I'll add a link to the recipe once I've found it. It's another from my Dan Lepard book 'Short & Sweet'.

Here it is https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/nov/24/foodanddrink.baking62

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
It's my first attempt at scones but I know that many TV bakers say don't twist the cutter when pressing out the shape as this can inhibit the rise. Cut straight down firmly.

I'll add a link to the recipe once I've found it. It's another from my Dan Lepard book 'Short & Sweet'.

Here it is https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/nov/24/foodanddrink.baking62

Also, don't over-work the dough, and work quickly once you've added the liquid.

Thank you to you both. She’s going to have a go as soon as she can. Fingers crossed.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Thank you to you both. She’s going to have a go as soon as she can. Fingers crossed.
And the dough should be sticky.

I've a Mary Berry recipe that works well for me.

Continuing the scone theme, does anyone have a recipe for scones including oats (not oatmeal)? I found one online and I liked the texture of a resulting scones but they didn't rise and took ages to cook - I suspect that the suggested oven temp was too low. I'll try them again but I'd be interested to see other recipes.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
So my wife had a go at @glasgowcyclist ’s scone recipe and used the tips you all suggested. Here’s what she came up with:

2019-04-10 11.35.27.jpg
2019-04-10 11.35.36.jpg

She was pleased with how they turned out. The scones had risen much more than usual and were very light and fluffy.

Next time, she's going to do the same recipe, but add 50g of raisins (or whatever it is that goes in scones).

Thanks again for your help! :notworthy:

C R

Guru
Half term and home with the monkeys today and tomorrow. We cooked empanadas for dinner, mostly daughters one and two's work

IMG_20190415_182547004.jpg

Tomorrow we are making rosca da pascua, which is a traditional Galician easter bread, made with eggs and butter, something between hot cross buns and brioche. Will keep you posted.

Top Bottom