The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Given the weather I spent some time doing a kind of ciabatta. Whole jar of sliced olives with a generous dollop of extra virgin olive oil in SR flour with some salt and a touch of sugar. Don’t ask about exact quantities as my cooking and baking is a bit spontaneous . About an hour at 170 in my oven. Tastes good anyhow. I have lots of EV olive oil as I get given it as presents from relatives returning from holiday.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
What recipe are you using for those rolls?

700g white flour
300g wholemeal spelt
650ml water
2tbsp sugar
1tbsp salt
25g yeast

180°c for 25 minutes

C R

Guru
Have decided to try sourdough from scratch again. Made a starter at the weekend, part wheat, part rye, which got going quite easily, and by Tuesday was already bubbling quite happily. Split the starter in two, fed both halves and put one in the fridge to keep.

I let the other half get going and then used it to prepare a dough with wholemeal rye, and brown and white wheat. I also added a handful of seeds. The dough raised nicely during the day and then went into the fridge.

This morning I took the dough out, waited for it to get to room temperature, knocked it back and prepared two small loaves which proved for about six hours. Then into the oven, and this was the result:

IMG_20200213_172825853.jpg

IMG_20200213_174324452.jpg

The crumb is a bit irregular, because the dough wasn't very easy to work with, so the knocking back was not efficient. I think I didn't add enough water.

The bread is a bit stodgy, but the aroma and taste are all there, so at least the starter is good and the timing more or less right, though perhaps next time I'll take the dough out of the fridge the night before.

Happy with the experiment.

Kryton521

Über Member
When I use spelt or rye flour, no matter what, I find that the loaves tend to be heavy. Is this normal? Do you add white flour?
Yes, perfectly. Also they tend to fall to pieces due to lack of gluten. You can add say 150 gms white to the mix which lighten, very slightly, but also add a little stickiness.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Rotten day again so did some playing around with 4 bananas, 150 grams mixed fruit,400 grams porridge oats with a couple of handfuls blitzed in the Magic Bullet. Mashed the bananas with touch of salt and a couple of dessert spoons of Demerara sugar and some creme fraiche to moisten a bit. Bunged everything else in and mixed by hand but had to add a bit more porridge oats to get a reasonable consistency. Put some in a small baking tray divided with a wet knife and the rest into balls squashed flatish. 20 minutes at 220F to finish. Not many left now.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Off work yesterday after a nasty tooth extraction. I took my time in the kitchen making some rolls, baguettes, a sea salt and rosemary twist, some flapjack and a sourdough loaf

Rice flour on the sourdough, ground up myself. Great for a sticky sourdough!

I use a lot of Wessex Mill flour, including the French, 00, strong white, rye and the fabulous Wessex cobber mix. The mill is just up the road and the wheats are grown in the fields I ride and drive past.
Bought a couple of packs in Shoreham a while back. The other one is 3 seed, if I remember correctly. Used to make bread all the time using a machine, either hand-measured or packet. My only other "freehand" attempt produced a very heavy but tasty biscuit...

Top Bottom