The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If mine does that I bake in an enamelled pot. That keeps it from spreading so that the only movement is upwards. I've saved a few that way.
Does it not weld itself to the pot and need a soaking to clean?

If it's like using my glazed clay pot, then no.

Because you put your pot in the oven before turning it on, and the pot heats up as the oven does. So by the time the dough's ready, the pot is up to oven temperature. It's just like cooking pizza / naan / pita on a baking stone - the heat from the surface "seals" the dough, preventing stickage.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Not in the slightest.

When I first began using the dutch oven method I used to drop the dough straight in from the banneton but that caused problems with degassing and it was rare to get it in neatly. I then came up with the idea of transferring it onto a silicone baking sheet and then using that as a carrier to carefully lower the dough into the pot.

Here’s a series of pictures showing what I do. (Click the thumbnail for the larger version.)

Dough ready to transfer:

Silicone sheet over the dough, ready to flip:

Turn over slowly and remove banneton:

Score (if desired):

Lower gently into the hot pot:

Pour about 50ml of water between the silicone and the pot. This creates a lovely, instant steam bath that allows the dough to rise for longer before forming a crust.

Get the lid straight on and bung it in the oven:

Check it after 20 minutes and if it’s risen as much as possible, remove the lid and continue to bake for the allotted time:

The top can end up darker than the rest so I usually take it out of the pot and bake the last five minutes naked on the stone.

Even without the silicone sheet, my bread always came out of the pot cleanly with no mess and no sticking. I guess that’s the enamel doing its job. The silicone means you’ll always be able to lift out straight out anyway.

Sorry for the very long reply to a simple question.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Todays offering.
Just enjoyed thick slices with lovely roast beef.....washed down with a nice glass of red (thats each, not between us).

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Starting to get a feel for this sourdough now. First one was too wet and spead a bit, 2nd one (Paul Hollywood recipie) was a bit dry and formed a small loaf with a tight crumb. Nice but more like traditional bread than sourdough.
Played around with the recipie today and got the hydration about right, Could have done with a bit more time in the oven but am happy with that. Am just ordering a banneton so I don't have to use a bowl for the final shape (had trouble getting it out today.)

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Oaty wholemeal

Medium_IMG_1585.JPG

Made late last night, but left overnight to cool. Really firmed up the crust ... which I like!

A bit of a calamity here chez Casa Reynard. My baking stone (well, not stone, it's terracotta) has split in two after years of use.

Doubt I can replace like for like, as this one was a boot sale find well over two decades ago, but anyone got any recommendations? Am looking for something around 15 inches in diameter.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A bit of a calamity here chez Casa Reynard. My baking stone (well, not stone, it's terracotta) has split in two after years of use.

Doubt I can replace like for like, as this one was a boot sale find well over two decades ago, but anyone got any recommendations? Am looking for something around 15 inches in diameter.

I got a large piece of marble that had been a kitchen worktop and cut it to fit my oven shelf.
Found it while buying a couple of slabs from a building reclamation yard and he let me have it for nothing.

See my post earlier in this thread... https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-bakers-thread.228233/post-5088373

I got a large piece of marble that had been a kitchen worktop and cut it to fit my oven shelf.
Found it while buying a couple of slabs from a building reclamation yard and he let me have it for nothing.

See my post earlier in this thread... https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-bakers-thread.228233/post-5088373

Hmm, the local tip does architectural salvage, but their sales area isn't open right now. Maybe I can find something at the local builders' merchant. :scratch:

Top Bottom