The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
And affinity series Squiers (or certainly older ones) are allegedly built to similar specs as 'real' ones, unlike my 2021 Argos special hardtail which has a plywood body only about 2/3 normal thickness.
As far as I can make out the Affinity body is a bit thinner than 'Classic Vibe' but not by much.
Body is real wood and is very light.
The neck is good and straight but the fretboard is very stained, I've tried cleaning it but still can't get it out. Any tips?
I've ordered a load of replacement bits from Gear4music, one of the few places that have reasonable shipping rates, on route via Nigeria at present. North West guitars have more but shipping is nearly double. I don't have to pay VAT though.
Did you know that Fender marketed the Starcaster strat under the Fender name to Supermarkets and Walmart type stores which is even cheaper than the Affinity and Bullet?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
IMG_20230819_100622.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think there's a very nice strat lurking under all that gunge, a good clean & fettle, it'll be good to go
Edit: The other good thing with strats is that there are loads of aftermarket upgrades easily available, that can turn it from a good guitar, to a bl**dy great guitar
I've finished the fettling now. New scratch plate

IMG_20230820_123436.jpg
, good clean, think it was kept in the kitchen as was full of grease. New pots and 5 way, jack and plate and strings. Should have changed the tuners as they're rubbish.
Plays very nicely with a very low action.

DRM

Guru
I've finished the fettling now. New scratch plate

View attachment 703905 , good clean, think it was kept in the kitchen as was full of grease. New pots and 5 way, jack and plate and strings. Should have changed the tuners as they're rubbish.
Plays very nicely with a very low action.

keep thinking a Strat shaped object might be nice, been tempted by the offerings at BAX Music

Cycleops

Legendary Member
These days you don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent guitar with the likes of Glarry etc. Can't get them down here unless you buy one somebody has brought down but they charge about three times the price so I decided to buy used.
The Gumtree type ads here are full of fake Fenders.

IMG_20230820_122529.jpg

Wonder what they are like ? I'll never buy as they are funded by criminals. You even get the free Fender lesson with them :smile:
Around £100.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Through learning it I've become fascinated by the fifties hit Rumble by Link Wray and the Wraymen. The only instrumental to be banned from the radio because of its reference to violence. Great number way ahead of its time and influenced many later rock n rollers.
In his dark glasses and leather jacket he was the complete antithesis of the clean cut goody goody Shadows and other instrumental bands.

View: https://youtu.be/ucTg6rZJCu4?si=fwiJI1lLogfOQclF

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Through learning it I've become fascinated by the fifties hit Rumble by Link Wray and the Wraymen. The only instrumental to be banned from the radio because of its reference to violence. Great number way ahead of its time and influenced many later rock n rollers.
In his dark glasses and leather jacket he was the complete antithesis of the clean cut goody goody Shadows and other instrumental bands.

View: https://youtu.be/ucTg6rZJCu4?si=fwiJI1lLogfOQclF

There's a TV ad on in the UK for an insurance Co,that uses Rumble, sometimes showing someone playing it, except when you can, you know they're not!

Top Bottom