The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I recall going to see Hawkwind back in the 70s. All I knew about them was Silver Machine. My abiding memory of the gig was that halfway through Motorway City we decided to go for a pint - which we did. Had a pint and a good chat and wandered back into the concert and they were still playing the same song. Was a bit of a shock as in those days I 'd been listening to the Ramones a lot, and the Ramones could have played their whole album in the same amount of time. Twice. Since then, of course, I've come to appreciate long songs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How old are Hawkwind now? They must be getting on.
They MUST be - I was 16 when Silver Machine was released and I am 64 now! :laugh:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
We went to see actual Hawkwind themselves a few months back. Enjoyed their (presumably older) prog rocky stuff more than their more generic stuff. Anyhow as it was only a few hundred yards from the house so it was silly not to stroll down the road to see a legendary band.
I recall going to see Hawkwind back in the 70s. All I knew about them was Silver Machine. My abiding memory of the gig was that halfway through Motorway City we decided to go for a pint - which we did. Had a pint and a good chat and wandered back into the concert and they were still playing the same song. Was a bit of a shock as in those days I 'd been listening to the Ramones a lot, and the Ramones could have played their whole album in the same amount of time. Twice. Since then, of course, I've come to appreciate long songs.

I went to see them once with the rest of tribute band, I found them a crashing bore and went to the bar after a few songs. The only band I’ve ever seen where I thought I was a better drummer.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
They MUST be - I was 16 when Silver Machine was released and I am 64 now! :laugh:
I think Dave Brock was around 19 at the time of their first album in '69.... so he'll be pushing 70 I guess ...not that old really.

I think I've seen Hawkwind more times than any other band, but not in the last 25 years. They can (could) be quite amazing live... taking you on a journey through space-rock lasting half an hour. The only downside was their bloody dancers! (I'm too young to have witnessed Stacia).

I went to see them once with the rest of tribute band, I found them a crashing bore and went to the bar after a few songs. The only band I’ve ever seen where I thought I was a better drummer.
1979 1980?

Last edited:

MontyVeda

Sent my steel string away today...

...to get the saddle slot re-cut.

It's right handed and I'm left handed so the intonation is a bit all over the place.
Should get it back in a couple of weeks. I'll report back when he returns.

Oxford Dave

The last time I saw Hawkwind was at the Roundhouse in (I think) 2018. On a good night, they're a great band. On a bad night….
Richard Chadwick's a pretty good drummer and has been with them for a long time now, if Mr Frog reckons he's better than that, then we should talk!

MontyVeda

The last time I saw Hawkwind was at the Roundhouse in (I think) 2018. On a good night, they're a great band. On a bad night….
Richard Chadwick's a pretty good drummer and has been with them for a long time now, if Mr Frog reckons he's better than that, then we should talk!
How were they at the Roundhouse?

Did Chadders replace Ginger Baker in '79?

[edit]... no he didn't. Joined in '88, the first year I saw Hawkwind live.
[another edit] according to Wiki, Ginger Baker joined in 1980... could have sworn he was on Levitation and Live '79, both of which are from '79, I think... no, Levitation is 1980. :wacko:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

I was just marvelling at your vinyl collection. Is the yardstick used to measure how many shelf inches you've got?
LOL.. no.. that's just where my yardstick lives, otherwise i'd never find it when i need it.

But since you asked, it's 135", not including the three crates of 7" singles under the bed.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I think Dave Brock was around 19 at the time of their first album in '69.... so he'll be pushing 70 I guess ...not that old really.

I think I've seen Hawkwind more times than any other band, but not in the last 25 years. They can (could) be quite amazing live... taking you on a journey through space-rock lasting half an hour. The only downside was their bloody dancers! (I'm too young to have witnessed Stacia).

1979 1980?

No, 2006

Not better than Ginger Baker obvs, but whoever it was in 2006, all I remember was his kit, 1987 Tama Granstar.

I don’t play anymore packed it about five years ago, love playing in a band HATE gigging. It’s a dilemma.

Oxford Dave

No, 2006

Not better than Ginger Baker obvs, but whoever it was in 2006, all I remember was his kit, 1987 Tama Granstar.

I don’t play anymore packed it about five years ago, love playing in a band HATE gigging. It’s a dilemma.
That'll have been Richard Chadwick, then. Must have been an off day, he's a good drummer.
I love gigging, it's what I'm in this for, the energy we get from the audience that inspires us to play better. When I hear recordings of the gigs, I know I can't play what I hear myself playing!

Oxford Dave

I managed to get an hour in before breakfast this morning, playing my JCB through the headphone amp, played the first set of one of our gigs last summer, then after my bike ride and lunch, played another hour or so playing along to a GD cd using one of the Jazz basses through an amp. Not a bad day, after collecting the wife from work, I had an hour or two sitting in the sun in the back garden with a beer or three.

Top Bottom