The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
one step forward, two steps back.

I inadvertently put a lot of little scratches in the finished top whilst shaping it, and sanding those back left it looking patchy.
I'm currently completely sanding the tru-oil finish off...

sanding back.jpg

...only to put it all back on again :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't people pay a lot more for pre-'distressed' stuff these days? :whistle:

DRM

Guru
So I’ve been practicing the various versions of the F chord, the barre version is getting clearer, but wow it’s hard getting the stretch, it doesn’t help that my first finger has a weird bend in it whilst barring the first fret, still practice makes it better!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Don't people pay a lot more for pre-'distressed' stuff these days? :whistle:

It's crazy isn't it, I've seen some "Fender Custom Shop" axes recently that are basically just new guitars attacked with a belt sander. I get the desire for a 30 or 40 year old guitar with patina, but that's proper patina, subtle dings and scratches and maybe a very mildly worn area near the pickguard, but not sanded away in stupid places.
No age of guitar looks like that!
Screenshot_20220707-201547_Google.jpg

"Here you go mate. Custom shop. That means we've attacked it with a sander in unrealistic places, then added 5 grand to the price. You're welcome."

I can't abide deliberately distressed guitars.
My cheap telecaster copy was bought brand new, but has since been knocked over once at a pub, putting some dings in the side of it. If genuine accidents happen, then so be it. But not carving lumps out of one on purpose...
What's the old country song? " It breaks my heart to see those stars, smashing perfectly good guitars...."

So I’ve been practicing the various versions of the F chord, the barre version is getting clearer, but wow it’s hard getting the stretch, it doesn’t help that my first finger has a weird bend in it whilst barring the first fret, still practice makes it better!

You might try getting hold of either a squash ball, or a stress ball, and spend a couple of minutes a day squeezing the ball with your fretting hand and also stretching out the fingers of your fretting hand.....

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
That is looking really good, what finish are you thinking of?

tru oil again i think, which will look like this, again, I think...

19-ready-to-glue-jpg.jpg

i did briefly consider briwax, which shouldn't give it quite so much colour, but it's not as hard either, so won't give it quite so much protection.

as for your F chord. I found it really hard on steel string acoustics (F# is distinctly easier coz you're not quite so close to the nut). One of two solutions might help...

if the action is high, you're pressing down a lot more than you need to. Look at lowering the nut.
if your action is OK, try lighter gauge strings. I put standard electric strings on my acoustic. What you lose in volume is gained in playability and i prefer the mellower sound they give.

Reactions: DRM

DRM

Guru
tru oil again i think, which will look like this, again, I think...

View attachment 651885

i did briefly consider briwax, which shouldn't give it quite so much colour, but it's not as hard either, so won't give it quite so much protection.

as for your F chord. I found it really hard on steel string acoustics (F# is distinctly easier coz you're not quite so close to the nut). One of two solutions might help...

if the action is high, you're pressing down a lot more than you need to. Look at lowering the nut.
if your action is OK, try lighter gauge strings. I put standard electric strings on my acoustic. What you lose in volume is gained in playability and i prefer the mellower sound they give.

Funnily enough it’s the acoustic that is more of a struggle, I’ve recently got use of a Tanglewood Les Paul copy, which I’ve fitted Ernie Ball strings, (9-42 iirc) and set up a lot better than it was, the truss rod was at maximum tightness and the action was high, I found some spec’s for the Gibson/Epiphone Les Pauls and copied that, it’s much easier to play now, you don’t have to press as hard on the strings.
Looking forward to seeing your project finished, I quite fancy having a go at one of the Harley Benton kits

GuyBoden

Guru
In comparison here's my 25 year old Epi Sheraton. It has dings and scratches and the gold metalwork has faded, it's been gigged over many years, but spot the difference.

Thats right, it hasnt been sanded down by a maniac. 😖

View attachment 651872

My 1949 Gibson L4 looks good too, only 73 years old.

I bought it in the USA over 20 years ago.
My Gibson L4c 1949.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
Funnily enough it’s the acoustic that is more of a struggle, I’ve recently got use of a Tanglewood Les Paul copy, which I’ve fitted Ernie Ball strings, (9-42 iirc) and set up a lot better than it was, the truss rod was at maximum tightness and the action was high, I found some spec’s for the Gibson/Epiphone Les Pauls and copied that, it’s much easier to play now, you don’t have to press as hard on the strings.
Looking forward to seeing your project finished, I quite fancy having a go at one of the Harley Benton kits

Oh great, why did you tell me those exist? Now I need to build my own guitar.

Reactions: DRM

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's crazy isn't it, I've seen some "Fender Custom Shop" axes recently that are basically just new guitars attacked with a belt sander. I get the desire for a 30 or 40 year old guitar with patina, but that's proper patina, subtle dings and scratches and maybe a very mildly worn area near the pickguard, but not sanded away in stupid places.

This sort of stuff is probably bought by the same kind of numpty that will pay extra for a new pair of jeans where someone has slashed the knees a few times. I must be missing a trick here, I should be flogging all my old worn out knackered stuff not cutting it up for cleaning rags!

Top Bottom