The best bit of commuting kit i ever bought was...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got an original pair and two more modern pairs in black.
I still wear my Ron Hill gloves bought in 1987, under my normal cycling gloves. I will admit that I have had to sew them a few times (gloves and tarmac not compatible) but they act like a base layer. I`ll have to pass on what happened to my Ron Hill tracksters though.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
Haven't used enough yet. The gates app won't work on my "very" smartphone. I have ridden it a couple of 8 mile off road rides no problems. I will check the roller

If the roller doesn't move make sure it never touches the belt!.

You can use a tensioning tool, £20 ish.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200120-082903_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200120-082903_eBay.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 3

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Haven't used enough yet. The gates app won't work on my "very" smartphone. I have ridden it a couple of 8 mile off road rides no problems. I will check the roller

What bike is it?

The Gates installation may be a conversion, so the guide may be a hangover from the original gearing.

Bear in mind the belt is not suitable for full-on off roading.

Even a small piece of grit or few strands of grass on the inside surface can wreck the belt when they are mashed be either of the sprockets.

It's a Santos travelmaster definitely not a conversion. They have it as an option on the site. I will be using it off road every time I use it. Bugger may need to change it to chain.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's a Santos travelmaster definitely not a conversion. They have it as an option on the site. I will be using it off road every time I use it. Bugger may need to change it to chain.

Top quality bike, although it is designed for touring.

Off road to the extent of cycle paths and very light dirt track should be fine.

Nothing to stop you carrying on as you are, but if the belt does get mashed you will be stranded unless you carry a spare.

I bumped into a couple of Dutch tourists in Scotland on his and her's Travelmasters.

The guy told me they were carrying one spare belt as a compromise.

Not that they were likely to need it for their use.

Tom B

Guru
I was going to say hydraulic disk brakes. But they came on the bike.

My Alpkit Goudon rolltop bag has to be the best thing i've bought in many a year. While use it for commuting it usually has a bag of wipes, nappies and baby bits as it doubles as a daddy bag, shopping bag and when the little lad was smaller an emergency baby carrier. And to think I was disappointed when it arrived through, yes, through the letterbox.

Other bits and bobs I'm chuffed with are my jet valve inflator thats for me home when I've suffered a puncture and it's been too horrible to fix.

Winter tyres

Winter booties

Top quality bike, although it is designed for touring.

Off road to the extent of cycle paths and very light dirt track should be fine.

Nothing to stop you carrying on as you are, but if the belt does get mashed you will be stranded unless you carry a spare.

I bumped into a couple of Dutch tourists in Scotland on his and her's Travelmasters.

The guy told me they were carrying one spare belt as a compromise.

Not that they were likely to need it for their use.

It's not a touring bike.....its an expedition bike! Pretentious I know. I have two now, the other one is chain. I have ridden it off road for about 6 years. At the moment with all four panniers full of firewood.....heavy, not good uphill on wet grass or dry for that matter! It has ice spikers on at the moment. So the new (second hand) one is going to have marathon plus mountain bike tyres. The studs will only last two years if I use them throughout the winter AND will start to go through the tyre in the second year.

Tom B

Guru
I have a second set of wheels for my winter tyres that I only use when it's icy/snowy. Spare studs are available albeit not much use if they're going into the tyre.

I use it like this because I get sick of using the electric one with trailer on. Note I can get nice wide tyres on the Santos travelmaster I even had big apple on

I have a second set of wheels for my winter tyres that I only use when it's icy/snowy. Spare studs are available albeit not much use if they're going into the tyre.

Tons of spare studs given free by Schwalbe uk. I should keep an eye on them and either straighten them or even pull out the ones going through the tyres. They turn sideways before going through. The problem is worse on the electric bike probably due to its take off speed and maybe the trailer isn't helping

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
Free from schwalbe is how I got my studs. I tow a trailer but not electric. No issues with them turning or pushing through. Just the odd lost stud. I think Ive got a couple of thousand miles on mine. (Schwalbe Winter not spikers)

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Thick soft drawstring buff which can be fastened over my nose and keep my neck warm at the same time. Best £4 I ever spent.

Top Bottom