The best bit of commuting kit i ever bought was...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
disc brakes. previous bike had rim brakes that
  • chewed through a wheelset each year
  • were dodgy when very wet, even with decent pads
even cheapo tectro disc brakes don't damage the rim and stop as good in the wet as the dry…

bladderhead

Skiing gloves. These days I ride recumbents, but I used to commute on a vintage Claud Butler. An hour each way. I got gloves, but the knuckles got stretched and the palms wore out. Then I discovered skiing gloves. They are made in a clawed shape and the palms are thick suede. I still wear them, even though on a 'bent ordinary gloves would be okay.

If you are in traffic a hub gear is better than Disraeli. Rohloff is the best. Heavy and ear-bleedingly expensive but worth it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
2 things. Rainlegs. I use them all the time in winter as they keep the chill off your legs and keep you dry if its raining.

Ex military waterproof overmitts off e bay for a tenner. The best bit of cycling/motorcycling kit I have bought I think.
Screenshot_20190420-085015.jpg

GlenBen

Über Member
A lomo waterproof rucksack, nothing worse than arriving at work with wet clothes to change into.

GlenBen

Über Member
Putting them in a plastic carrier bag sorts that problem and is cheaper. :smile:
I used to do that, but heavy rain always seems to find a way through.

Yep, Gates Carbon Drive. Nice and smooth!.
Help what is the bit at the back of the gates belt for?
Previous owner doesn't appear to know. Claims he hadn't used the bike much...looking at the bike virtually never would be more accurate!
Also is it in the right position, as in should it be closer?

keithmac

Guru
Help what is the bit at the back of the gates belt for?
Previous owner doesn't appear to know. Claims he hadn't used the bike much...looking at the bike virtually never would be more accurate!
Also is it in the right position, as in should it be closer?
View attachment 501131

Looks like a roller or guide to stop the belt skipping?. I don't have one and don't need one.

I wouldn't have it touching the belt personally!. Does the "roller" next to the belt spin freely?.

I set my belt tension with the Gates App to 60hz and have never had any issues with belt skip/ slip.

Ron Hill Tracksters bought in my 20s. Not telling you how old I am now.

I’m going to say 30? But in all honesty well done for avoiding the expanded waistline many of us experience after our 20’s as children come along, blah, blah, blah etc etc.

Looks like a roller or guide to stop the belt skipping?. I don't have one and don't need one.

I wouldn't have it touching the belt personally!. Does the "roller" next to the belt spin freely?.

I set my belt tension with the Gates App to 60hz and have never had any issues with belt skip/ slip.
Haven't used enough yet. The gates app won't work on my "very" smartphone. I have ridden it a couple of 8 mile off road rides no problems. I will check the roller

Top Bottom