The best bit of commuting kit i ever bought was...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
BBB BWS04 Hardwear overshoes for me, really changed my experience of winter commuting for the better.

Jim, i've had a pair of these BB HeavyDuty overshoes for a while but find them to be absolutely pants in terms of dryness, comfort and durability. I've replaced them at least twice!

Are the BWS04 any better?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Jim, i've had a pair of these BB HeavyDuty overshoes for a while but find them to be absolutely pants in terms of dryness, comfort and durability. I've replaced them at least twice!

Are the BWS04 any better?

Mine were new in September 2013 and have lasted many years of winter commuting duties, will keep upper shoes dry for 45 mins in the rain, and are very warm too. They have an outer lining over the neoprene which seems to shrug off the rain. Of course it still gets in around the bottom of the shoe & the top of the socks. I might need to replace them in 2023 at this rate.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
  1. Decent tyres (puncture resistant, any kind will do)
  2. Ortlieb large courier bag- ride any bike to work in any weather and and carry plenty stuff.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My buff. For such a small and light bit of kit it is brilliant for Autumn right through to late Spring rides and if you miscalculate and get too warm, storage is never a problem.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My buff. For such a small and light bit of kit it is brilliant for Autumn right through to late Spring rides and if you miscalculate and get too warm, storage is never a problem.
In winter, I like the ones with a fleece band at one end, giving the options of cloth+fleece around the ears/face, just fleece or just cloth, so you can vary the warmth.

clf

Shwalbe Durano plus tyres, still on my first pair with about 3 years of use, probably north of 10000 miles, just one fairy visit courtesy of a big nail that would have gone through anything, I'll get the rest of this winter out of them no problem, bought a pair of new ones for £34 a couple of weeks ago to replace them, other than that it's various bits of Aldi cycling clothes I've had for at least 5 years without any sign of issue.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Shwalbe Durano plus tyres, still on my first pair with about 3 years of use, probably north of 10000 miles, just one fairy visit courtesy of a big nail that would have gone through anything, I'll get the rest of this winter out of them no problem, bought a pair of new ones for £34 a couple of weeks ago to replace them, other than that it's various bits of Aldi cycling clothes I've had for at least 5 years without any sign of issue.

My commuting tyre of choice.

Top Bottom