The best boardgames you never had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hyslop

Veteran
As an only child,board games were a relative unknown to me!However,some fool(ungrateful little so-and so)once bought me a Subbuteo football set,this despite the fact that I cannot bear football,that and the fact that my friends all possessed their own sets ,and an in-house opponent, has ensured that many years later it sits unopened in the loft.The other game, of which I have little recollection once again,was a board game called L"Attaque,goodness only knows what that was all about.The one I most enjoyed as a child was my fort,characters provided by the 7th Cavalry and those whom we knew in less enlightened days as the "Indians".The "Indians" won-every time!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I liked playing Mousetrap. My cousin had it but we didn't. There used to be a newspaper game, where you made your front page up with cards. I think it was called Scoop but can't quite remember. Great fun though.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
[QUOTE 4086098, member: 45"]We used to play Go at school. Always wanted it at home. Might see whether I can find a set on eBay.[/QUOTE]
Do you mean Go the international Travel Game
md2t8iY1MXEVPT9H7itmB-g.jpg
I had this as a teenager and loved it.
When I started teaching I had a low ability Geography group and went to my parents to get this game and use it with class. I found that my dad had given all my games away to my uncle's kids who had thrown them away when they had moved house. Would love to have it again but maybe a more up to date board and currencies. I might make myself a version :becool:.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Abalone is ace @MontyVeda.

It is. I only ever spent one night playing it. That was over 20 years ago and I've lusted for it ever since. I have had a look on Ebay for it, but the few 'proper' ones seemed quite expensive (for a fecking board game anyway)... but i did see this wooden version:
Abalone.jpg

...which got me thinking about all those offcuts of wood i keep hold of, and that router i seldom use, and how i could build a jig... :rolleyes:

RichardB

Slightly retro
I liked playing Mousetrap. My cousin had it but we didn't. There used to be a newspaper game, where you made your front page up with cards. I think it was called Scoop but can't quite remember. Great fun though.
I remember Scoop! Something to do with making up a front page, spiking things, and the mysterious "type form in abeyance". I never fully understood the rules, but it was fun.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As an only child,board games were a relative unknown to me!However,some fool(ungrateful little so-and so)once bought me a Subbuteo football set,this despite the fact that I cannot bear football,that and the fact that my friends all possessed their own sets ,and an in-house opponent, has ensured that many years later it sits unopened in the loft.The other game, of which I have little recollection once again,was a board game called L"Attaque,goodness only knows what that was all about.The one I most enjoyed as a child was my fort,characters provided by the 7th Cavalry and those whom we knew in less enlightened days as the "Indians".The "Indians" won-every time!

If that is a set from the sixties or seventies it would be worth checking out prices of similar sets on ebay. There are a hard core of Subbuteo collectors and an unopened set could fetch silly money, depending on which one it is.

A couple of years ago a plastic pitch surround for Subbuteo Table Cricket went for £270, though even the fanatics were amazed at that.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
crossfire was great - and I never had it either.

l'attaque is rather a good game, though for no logical reason I preferred the Naval re-skin "Dover Patrol". I think there was an aircraft one as well.

midlife

Guru
If that is a set from the sixties or seventies it would be worth checking out prices of similar sets on ebay. There are a hard core of Subbuteo collectors and an unopened set could fetch silly money, depending on which one it is.

A couple of years ago a plastic pitch surround for Subbuteo Table Cricket went for £270, though even the fanatics were amazed at that.

Friend at work put his goalkeeper's arms in hot water to straighten them out, better to save with apparently !

Shaun

Mrs M

Guru
I always wanted Mousetrap and Buckaroo.
Had Mousetrap at school but only got to play with it once, my "friend" had Buckaroo but wouldn't let me play with it.
Quite liked Cluedo and Monopoly, which I did have :smile:.

Top Bottom