The best/most 'valuable' (non-monetary) gift you were ever given....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I mean valuable not in financial terms, but something that has stuck with you, been of benefit, created something, sparked your imagination etc.

I was pondering this yesterday - a legacy of this gift materialised in the present (in both senses of the word).

For me it was the gift from my Grandfather of an annual subscription to National Geographic. Probably from the age of 6 or 7 years old. I appreciate that seems rather young but I was a very advanced reader, at the age of 5 a National Geographic was within my capabilities and I was chewing through Mum's Readers Digest at a rate of knots. As my Grandfather worked in a small medical practice (in an administrative role), much to my delight he'd bring home the tatty old copies from the surgery, and every few weeks when we travelled the 25 miles to visit (a long trip in Devon in the 60s) I'd devour them. So he set up a subscription to have them delivered to my home.

The magazine filled me with awe and wonder, instilled in me an interest in travel, nature, photography, travelogue, architecture, mid-century design, Frank Lloyd Wright, Eames chairs. Big glossy adverts for Cadillac and Lincoln cars, Pan-Am to New York, Rothmans and Peter Stuyvesant cigarettes, powerboats, Nikon cameras, Rolex watches and on it went. I wanted to be somehow part of that world.
I smoked the ciggs, drove the cars, owned several Nikons, have my 30 year old Rolex that's used every-day, travelled the world (for work), my Insta-feed is dominated by Mid-century design, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Brutalism, The Bauhaus, I follow the natural world and climate-change closely. All of these things stem from that simple gift - firstly bringing the tatty copies home for me to gaze over and then that subscription.
Yesterday, some 50+ years after a starry eyed-Devon kid first gazed into this portable paper world of awe and wonder, my journey from that childhood dreamland became complete. Now for the last of my years, I will rest my bones at home each evening in an Eames chair. The sheer beauty of it sitting in the corner of the room actually makes me cry. In a Axminster council house in the 60s, it was all I could do to even dream of seeing one for real, let alone sit on one. I was way into my 30s before I saw one for real in John Lewis - again just a distant dream, a reminder of a fantasy world. And now it's here, and it's mine.

I'm in floods of tears as I write this, remembering my dear Grandfather who died soon after my 7th or 8th birthday, riddled with Cancer. He taught me to fish, buying me my first fishing reel - a bakelite pin-real that still in my office. I have his cherished Abu Garcia fishing reel in it's leather case, and the ashtray that say by his chair, a few of his favourite LPs.
Most of all, I wish he could see how much that simple precious gift of a National Geographic subscription meant to me, how it made such an impact on my world view as a child and how it continues to do so all these years later.
Thanks Grandad, I never missed you as much as I did yesterday. I think I'll go sit down....

stephec

Legendary Member
I was chewing through Mum's Readers Digest at a rate of knots.

I know rationing was still going on in the early fifties but I didn't know it was that bad. 😅

Jameshow

Veteran
I mean valuable not in financial terms, but something that has stuck with you, been of benefit, created something, sparked your imagination etc.

I was pondering this yesterday - a legacy of this gift materialised in the present (in both senses of the word).

For me it was the gift from my Grandfather of an annual subscription to National Geographic. Probably from the age of 6 or 7 years old. I appreciate that seems rather young but I was a very advanced reader, at the age of 5 a National Geographic was within my capabilities and I was chewing through Mum's Readers Digest at a rate of knots. As my Grandfather worked in a small medical practice (in an administrative role), much to my delight he'd bring home the tatty old copies from the surgery, and every few weeks when we travelled the 25 miles to visit (a long trip in Devon in the 60s) I'd devour them. So he set up a subscription to have them delivered to my home.

The magazine filled me with awe and wonder, instilled in me an interest in travel, nature, photography, travelogue, architecture, mid-century design, Frank Lloyd Wright, Eames chairs. Big glossy adverts for Cadillac and Lincoln cars, Pan-Am to New York, Rothmans and Peter Stuyvesant cigarettes, powerboats, Nikon cameras, Rolex watches and on it went. I wanted to be somehow part of that world.
I smoked the ciggs, drove the cars, owned several Nikons, have my 30 year old Rolex that's used every-day, travelled the world (for work), my Insta-feed is dominated by Mid-century design, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Brutalism, The Bauhaus, I follow the natural world and climate-change closely. All of these things stem from that simple gift - firstly bringing the tatty copies home for me to gaze over and then that subscription.
Yesterday, some 50+ years after a starry eyed-Devon kid first gazed into this portable paper world of awe and wonder, my journey from that childhood dreamland became complete. Now for the last of my years, I will rest my bones at home each evening in an Eames chair. The sheer beauty of it sitting in the corner of the room actually makes me cry. In a Axminster council house in the 60s, it was all I could do to even dream of seeing one for real, let alone sit on one. I was way into my 30s before I saw one for real in John Lewis - again just a distant dream, a reminder of a fantasy world. And now it's here, and it's mine.

I'm in floods of tears as I write this, remembering my dear Grandfather who died soon after my 7th or 8th birthday, riddled with Cancer. He taught me to fish, buying me my first fishing reel - a bakelite pin-real that still in my office. I have his cherished Abu Garcia fishing reel in it's leather case, and the ashtray that say by his chair, a few of his favourite LPs.
Most of all, I wish he could see how much that simple precious gift of a National Geographic subscription meant to me, how it made such an impact on my world view as a child and how it continues to do so all these years later.
Thanks Grandad, I never missed you as much as I did yesterday. I think I'll go sit down....

I had an uncle Ralph who was a Grandad to me as my grandparents died young. He made / brought me aged 8ish a wooden box some 40x40 x20cm which had 9 compartments and my name on a plate on it. It had Lego in it at first and then fishing gear and im not sure now! Precious isn't the word!

My mum and dad brought me a Barbour jacket when I turned 18 as well as a kitchen devil knife...

My son brought me a pair of orange topped dark blue socks that are a match for Holdsworth colours! I keep them with the jersey!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I had an uncle Ralph who was a Grandad to me as my grandparents died young. He made / brought me aged 8ish a wooden box some 40x40 x20cm which had 9 compartments and my name on a plate on it. It had Lego in it at first and then fishing gear and im not sure now! Precious isn't the word!

My mum and dad brought me a Barbour jacket when I turned 18 as well as a kitchen devil knife...

My son brought me a pair of orange topped dark blue socks that are a match for Holdsworth colours! I keep them with the jersey!

I love the sound of that box - do you still have it?

Jameshow

Veteran
I love the sound of that box - do you still have it?

Yes i'll get it out sometime maybe put screws in it?!

tom73

Guru
My fathers signet ring, I was 17 and still remember coming home from the hospital after we'd been told it was only a matter of time. My mum went straight to the draw in the front room and handed me the ring box. "This is for you no-one else" she said. Basically she got in first before my auntie had a chance to ask for it back. She'd bought it for his 21st though my dad had to pay for it to be engraved. With interlocking letters engraved to his design lucky we share the same initials.
He wore it for days out , on holiday , any time we went out dressed up and Christmas, anytime other than day to day really.
I now wear it the same times he did and the times I need that bit of extra luck.
As a kid we did most things together I owe so much to him love of nature, the outdoors , teaching me to ride a bike, to name a few.
Not till after he'd died I worked out way he gave me so much time. He did not want me to miss out like he did.
As fate had we both lost our fathers at 17.

Mrs M

Guru
My sister and I also got a subscription to National Geographic from our Auntie and Uncle in California, loved reading about things we’d never imagined.
We also both got a doll called “Drowsy” from them.
Drowsy spoke when her cord was pulled, asking for a another drink of water in an American accent.
When I watched their home video in California of my cousin and her Drowsy doll at Christmas it brought back memories.
My Uncle was amazed I remembered such things.
They were big occasions in a pitiful childhood.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My long dead dog.

A fantastic surprise present from Mrs SD.

I'd left The Lakes at 4am (driving) for a long day of meetings in Welwyn Garden City. Got home at 10pm and was told to shut my eyes and hold my arms out.

I did and this surprisingly heavy 8 week old Weimeranar pup was placed within.

The start of a fantastic 12 years man/dog relationship.

1-2005-045.jpg

Mrs M

Guru
My long dead dog.

A fantastic surprise present from Mrs SD.

I'd left The Lakes at 4am (driving) for a long day of meetings in Welwyn Garden City. Got home at 10pm and was told to shut my eyes and hold my arms out.

I did and this surprisingly heavy 8 week old Weimeranar pup was placed within.

The start of a fantastic 12 years man/dog relationship.

View attachment 702794

Well done Mrs SD, gorgeous pooch 🥰

Top Bottom