The best of England

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Next year's tour is going to be an extensive exploration of England, the ancient and the modern, the cultured and the crass, the inspiring and the inane.

What is there near you - a building, some scenery, a weird museum, an incredible pint, a dodgy bloke, a ridiculous shop, a toxic swamp, whatever - that I need to include on my list? All suggestions joyfully received. The stranger, the better.

Cheers
Steven

Down here in Wiltshire you have quite a few ancient monuments, Silbury hill, Avebury stone circle, West Kennet Long Barrow and down near Salisbury there is Stone Henge. Beer wise there is Wadworths of Devizes 6X I am not a beer drinker so I wouldn't know.
There is the National Trust Village of Lacock and Lacock Abbey with its connection with photography and the Harry Potter film.

Geoff.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bridges.... From the very big, such as the Severn Bridge, to the smaller Clifton Suspension bridge, and lots of smaller ones than that too! Lots of things to see in Bristol but chances are you'll need to use a bridge or two on your travels!

I think it wouldn't be proper without visiting England's smallest county which ironically has the largest man made lake [looks completely natural] in Western Europe and the longest brick built viaduct in Europe. If you like McDonalds, forget it. Oh and an ancient great hall that has walls full of horse shoes that are given by any head of state that passes through Oakham, county town of Rutland. It is very strange given the sizes of some of them.

Clipper tea is based in Beamninster & is the UK's 1st fair trade tea company. Even though I've never tried Clipper tea I doubt it's as nice as Elderflower tea :smile: Palmers brewery is based in Bridport; their copper ale is nice. In Lyme Regis there's the Town Mill brewery who do nice ales; I recommend the Black Ven porter.

I've already told you about the Cern Abbas giant and his big wedding tackle :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Remains of the brothel where the Bronte sisters were reputed to have worked in.
Also the piece responsible for one third of The Thieves Litany. Cats' Eye's factory.
Go slightly further afield, whilst still staying local. Visit both birthplaces of Yorkshires' National Anthem. The writer came from nearby.

I think O.P mentioned an incredible pint.....

:notworthy:

http://www.burtonbridgebrewery.co.uk/

You might as well close the thread now.....:cheers:

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
All good stuff so far. And the idea is to visit every county, spending as many days there as is warranted by its size. So Rutland definitely gets a visit, albeit a short one. At least one great pint per county would be good too. Also, forgot to mention, any bonkers festivals, events and competitions would be great too.

All good stuff so far. And the idea is to visit every county, spending as many days there as is warranted by its size. So Rutland definitely gets a visit, albeit a short one. At least one great pint per county would be good too. Also, forgot to mention, any bonkers festivals, events and competitions would be great too.

Did someone mention Rutland?.......

A close second to The Burton Bridge is.......

http://www.grainstorebrewery.com/drink/

And no I'm not an alcoholic honest..... just a real ale geek....

You could visit Snowdonia and take the train up to the summit of snowdon where there is a cafe with views unless it is cloudy. There is also a beach in that area

Called Whistling Sands, the sand makes the sound like rubber soles shoes on a polished floor when you walk on it.

Top Bottom