The best of England

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
You mean like the Cheese Rolling down Cooper's Hill near Gloucester?

I thought about cheese rolling and then read somewhere (wiki?) that it attracts 40,000 people. Can that be right? That's 10 times a Blackburn Rivers home game. So was hoping for something a little more obscure. Like a Blackburn Rivers home game perhaps.

Visit the forest of Bpwland It is fantastic. So is the Tintern Abbey.
Forest of bowland seconded. I grew up not too far away but only relatively late in life, having long since moved away, only really began to appreciate it. A few years ago on a ride back from Chipping (corner caff apparently frequented by wiggins) i rounded a corner and exclaimed "fark me", so damn beautiful was it. Ok, i'm not going to be the next Wordsworth.

I'm assuming mr primrose has another book in the offing and despite his shameless attempt to get all his research done for nowt i will be seriously interested in buying it. Check him out.

Edited - just noticed that cyclechat changes words it doesn't like. Bit disapppointed. Sometimes a good anglo saxon word is just right/expresses the moment.

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
I'm assuming mr primrose has another book in the offing and despite his shameless attempt to get all his research done for nowt i will be seriously interested in buying it. Check him out.

;-) Busted! Don't worry. I'll be doing plenty of my own research too. I just thought your collective local knowledge might guide me somewhere weird, or to a truly exceptional pint.

Aha, good to know that you are again on the holy duality of cycling and drinking.

Ok, here goes.

The Golding Hop

I used to think that its days were numbered when i used to often lead a bunch of merry (more merry on the departure) cyclists there.

It seemed to be from another age, wonderful strong cider, a famously grouchy but essentially nice landlord, great basic food from his wife.

The first time i saw it it was as a vision.

Seemed ripe for a conversion to a house or a gastro pub.

And on googling i find that google immediately suggests "up for sale

http://www.porterssurveyors.com/properties/the-golding-hop/

Oh Albion, what has become of you.

I well remember the landlords reaction when asked forva cup of tea.

And if you wanted your water bottle filling, you were directed to a spring outside.

And the water was fine, though not as fine as the 7.5 per cent cider.

Happy (and not too long ago) days.

All good stuff so far. And the idea is to visit every county, spending as many days there as is warranted by its size. So Rutland definitely gets a visit, albeit a short one. At least one great pint per county would be good too. Also, forgot to mention, any bonkers festivals, events and competitions would be great too.
Not necessarily totallt bonkers but i can recommend the faversham hop festival. Wonderful under appreciated town (on one ride a compatriot of mine was leading we inexolicably whizzed straight through it), lots of folk getting nicely inebriated in the streets (but no trouble maybe thanks to more recent earlier closing), lots of nice free bands, good camping at local school, though not as cheap as it used to be - first time i went not too long ago i got two nights for £5 as the guy helping on the gate was from peckham and i said i'd riddren from there, orvthereabouts. Great fish and chip shop as well.

You could visit Snowdonia and take the train up to the summit of snowdon where there is a cafe with views unless it is cloudy. There is also a beach in that area

Called Whistling Sands, the sand makes the sound like rubber soles shoes on a polished floor when you walk on it.
I can vouch for the fact that they do whistle. Unlike many of these things, itbis not a myth adopted by tourist marketing types.

Yes, i know, i read your great book which rather began and ended with your impressions of your home town, very familiar to me for various reasons.

Am in a pub at the mo on a wonky tablet or i would link to that book.

Feel free to, on my behalf, provide the link.

I will just add the fervent recommendation to a book in a genre which can be bloody awful.

Your home town is where i saw my first ever live band - slade!

And a bit later the buzzcocks. Both great.

Top Bottom