The best of England

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Cycle to Frodsham/Helsby in Cheshire. Get to a view point and look down over Stanlow oil refinery, the Mersey estuary and Runcorn. You'll also see the M56.

Do this at night, industrial hell becomes a twinkling wonderland!

Cambridge- Get a personal tour of Corpus Christi College Gardens from the Head Gardener (lovely bloke, witty, handsome....) Then go for a pint round the corner in The Eagle

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...e_Eagle-Cambridge_Cambridgeshire_England.html

But wouldn't the answer to that one be something a bit dull like Wetherspoon's. Surely strongest beer, or even most-expensive-but-worth-every-penny beer, would be more fun?

You're right, that was nagging me as I wrote it.

Kinda linked 2:

1: Colne - birthplace and burial place of Wallace Hartley, the bandmaster who supposedly went down with the Titanic as his band played on. Curiously, since he is I think the town's most famous son and there is a bust of him in the main street, there are no signs that I am aware of to the cemetary where he is buried (just past the top of the town) or, once you get to the cemetary, to his place within it, He takes a bit of finding and last time I was there, second time, it took me ages to find him again - I asked a few locals and they wondered what I was wittering on about. Once you find it (with a wonderful view of the back of Pendle), after all your walking up and down the cemetary slopes to find him you can retire to yes, the local Spoons named after him, which is particularly cheap even for a spoons - well under £2 a pint.. Like many of their pubs has little character but decent. And when I was last there a few weeks ago they had an impressive line up of particularly strong beers - when I commented on this the barman said they liked them and that they sometimes had a beer called Titanic Wreckage. The name sounded a tad tasteless, particularly in view of it being Colne, but I'm a fan of strong beer and having since googled it I find that it has a pertty fine reputation.

Colne also has a lot of cycling associations - the late lamented Karrimor was in that area and a stage of the Tour ends there next week. Not too far away, in a small lane at the back of Pendle (details if you want them) is an original Clarion Club hut.

More strong beer and may qualify for the most expensive grail you seek.

http://www.blackhorse.robinsonsbrewery.com/

Wondeful old fashioned interior, the building is listed I think - great place to spend a dark winters afternoon in one of its cosy corners.

I only discovered it relatively recently, along with Robinson's Old Tom on draught - a beer so wondrous and strong that they would usually only let you buy it in halves. The effects of a pint, or more if you can manage it, are bordering on psychedelic.

Tragically, a few weeks ago I wandered in anticipating the holy handpump and couldn't see it. They were only selling it in bottles (why go to a pub for a bottle?) as they said that Robinsons had raised the price of a barrel to a point where they say they would have to charge £8 a pint to make any money. They said that they might get the odd barrel in.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
And the idea is to visit every county
But how do you define "county"? Historical pre-1974 county, historical post-1974 county, ceremonial county? Is Berkshire (no single authority for a decade or so) a county? Is Shropshire (unitary authority) a district or a county?

classic33

Leg End Member
Counties of England.png

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
But how do you define "county"?

I'm working off a list of ceremonial counties I found on Wiki.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Ideas for Cumberland: -

- Waberthwaite for the traditional Cumbrland Sausage (by Royal Appointment)
- The 'Best View in England', and the Highest mountain in England in Wasdale (also the Biggest liar competition at Wasdale Head)
- Egremont Crab Fair (including Gurning Competition, and Greasy Pole Climbing)
- There's a US Navy ceremony every year in Whitehaven to celebrate the birth of the US Navy (John Paul Jones and the failed attack on Whitehaven Harbour)
- Breweries such as the Jennings Brewery in Cockermouth, or the Hesket Newmarket Brewery, or the micro-brewery behind the Kirkstile Inn might cover the beer.
- There's also the birthplace of the British Nuclear industry in Sellafield.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Ideas for Cumberland: -

- Waberthwaite for the traditional Cumbrland Sausage (by Royal Appointment)
- The 'Best View in England', and the Highest mountain in England in Wasdale (also the Biggest liar competition at Wasdale Head)
- Egremont Crab Fair (including Gurning Competition, and Greasy Pole Climbing)
- There's a US Navy ceremony every year in Whitehaven to celebrate the birth of the US Navy (John Paul Jones and the failed attack on Whitehaven Harbour)
- Breweries such as the Jennings Brewery in Cockermouth, or the Hesket Newmarket Brewery, or the micro-brewery behind the Kirkstile Inn might cover the beer.
- There's also the birthplace of the British Nuclear industry in Sellafield.
Get yourself to Patterdale if you want a really good sausage.. Wabberthwaite is overrated and somewhat bland in my opinion (Yes, there's different varieties of sausage in Cumbria... a concept that seemingly all butchers outside of Cumbria cannot grasp).
And you can't miss Cars of the Stars in Keswick... and is that little toy museum in Cockermouth* still going?

pronounced 'cockermuff' ....and yes, it still sounds rude

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
But how do you define "county"? Historical pre-1974 county, historical post-1974 county, ceremonial county? Is Berkshire (no single authority for a decade or so) a county? Is Shropshire (unitary authority) a district or a county?
Ceremonial County,

Top Bottom