The best of England

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah, mead. I remember my grandma giving me that as a ten year-old. Must try some more.

Morrisons sells harvest gold mead which is nice. You might not like it as much as you liked Rattlers cider but it's definitely worth a try. I personally can demolish a bottle of mead very quickly; having said that I can demolish most drinks quickly lol.

One thing that's just occurred to me; I know you'll potentially be down in Dorset June time but in July Tolpuddle has a Tolpuddle martyrs' festival.

From what I can gather from their website it's more of a political martyrdom festival though it does have music & family entertainment. I've never been to Tolpuddle, let alone the festival, so haven't got any 1st hand experience of what it's like.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We have the Blackdown Hills, and the Luppit Inn (run by 93yr old Mary from the kitchen of her farmhouse). Ottery St Mary and the Tar Barrels. Beer (the fishing village) and Branscombe. The Bridge Inn at Topsham where you choose from the beer menu. Exeter Cathedral and city. Dartmoor. The wilds of mid and north Devon. Exmoor and the North Devon coast (Valley of the Rocks, Woody Bay). And loads more.

Brains

Legendary Member
I live in Greenwich, so a lot here obviously with two UNESCO world heritage sites and obviously the prime meridian of the world, so keeping with the theme of time, a visit to the Daylight Inn in nearby Petts Wood (Kent), a 1930's Tudorbethan Grade II listed pub named after the local bloke than gave the world Summer Time (There has to be a British weather joke in there somewhere), to be fair, the pub is nothing special, but maybe that is a story in itself

I would second the Faversham Beer Festival in Kent, I also accidentally chanced upon it a couple of years ago, and in keeping with Kent and Beer I have a couple of suggestions.

The Isle of Thanet micro-pub trail, 10 pubs in 20 miles, what could possibly go wrong ?
http://www.micropubcrawl.co.uk/map/map.htm

For the seriously weird and whacky pub, I'll nominate the Rising Sun near Kemsing (Kent), I can not image the pub is run on a commercial basis, but that is a conversation you can hold with the parrot
http://whatpub.com/pubs/GRA/0189/rising-sun-kemsing

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I can beat the 10 pubs in 20 miles, come to Deal and you can have nearly 40 within 3 miles :wacko:

Another festival is the Folk and Ale festival in Sandwich Kent. Lovely little medieval town with numerous ancient pubs and lots of good folk music and erm ........ lots of morris dancers :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
I live in Greenwich, so a lot here obviously with two UNESCO world heritage sites and obviously the prime meridian of the world, so keeping with the theme of time, a visit to the Daylight Inn in nearby Petts Wood (Kent), a 1930's Tudorbethan Grade II listed pub named after the local bloke than gave the world Summer Time (There has to be a British weather joke in there somewhere), to be fair, the pub is nothing special, but maybe that is a story in itself.
He could visit the origional and the site of its replacement. 100 yards further West, first one is in the wrong place.

I live in Greenwich, so a lot here obviously with two UNESCO world heritage sites and obviously the prime meridian of the world, so keeping with the theme of time, a visit to the Daylight Inn in nearby Petts Wood (Kent), a 1930's Tudorbethan Grade II listed pub named after the local bloke than gave the world Summer Time (There has to be a British weather joke in there somewhere), to be fair, the pub is nothing special, but maybe that is a story in itself

I would second the Faversham Beer Festival in Kent, I also accidentally chanced upon it a couple of years ago, and in keeping with Kent and Beer I have a couple of suggestions.

The Isle of Thanet micro-pub trail, 10 pubs in 20 miles, what could possibly go wrong ?
http://www.micropubcrawl.co.uk/map/map.htm

For the seriously weird and whacky pub, I'll nominate the Rising Sun near Kemsing (Kent), I can not image the pub is run on a commercial basis, but that is a conversation you can hold with the parrot
http://whatpub.com/pubs/GRA/0189/rising-sun-kemsing

I can second that pub.

On the pub theme, The Circus in central manchester. Incredibly small, so you won't be getting your bike in - you hit the bar as soon as you walk in. Remarkably still open, or it was a few weeks ago.

Oh, and mr primrose, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find britain's cheapest pint. And report back.

Bodhbh

Guru
Down here in Wiltshire you have quite a few ancient monuments, Silbury hill, Avebury stone circle, West Kennet Long Barrow and down near Salisbury there is Stone Henge. Beer wise there is Wadworths of Devizes 6X I am not a beer drinker so I wouldn't know.
Geoff.

All those, but I will not speak of Harry Potter however. Stonehenge is one of those places that gets knocked for being roped off, too expensive, touristy and next to the A303 (dad joke alert - why did they build it next to the A303?). On a bike, on tour, you can approach it from one of the several bridlepaths, off-peak and with the A303 out of clipping...and I think it's quite stunning.

I suppose the best way to do that part of the country is via the Ridgeway if you want to tie in a few ancient monuments (Uffington White Horse + hill fort, Waylands Smithy, Avebury, Stonehenge and Old Sarum, etc). Also there's not many options for multiday off-road adventures in the south of England, might as well take advantage off one while it makes sense.

OP
OP
smith4188

smith4188

Veteran
Oh, and mr primrose, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find britain's cheapest pint. And report back.

I'll happily accept any and all England-based missions given. But wouldn't the answer to that one be something a bit dull like Wetherspoon's. Surely strongest beer, or even most-expensive-but-worth-every-penny beer, would be more fun?

Top Bottom