The best of England

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Shropshire has a few bits that might be of interest:
  • Home of the Industrial Revolution.
  • The world's first iron bridge (in Ironbridge)
  • The world's first iron framed building and forerunner of the modern skyscraper (in Shrewsbury).
  • A tower that leans at an angle 3 times steeper than the Tower of Pisa (Bridgnorth Castle)
  • Birthplace of the modern Olympic Games (Much Wenlock)
  • Picturesque towns (Shrewsbury, Ludlow, Bridgnorth, Much Wenlock, Bishop's Castle to name a few)
  • Our own lake district (Ellesmere area)
  • The Shropshire Hills (Church Stretton and south-west Shropshire)
  • Boscobel House (Home of The Royal Oak that all the pubs are named after)
  • The Severn Valley Railway - one of the best known preserved lines in the country, regular film set and home to the replica of Trevithick's "Catch Me Who Can" - the world's second steam locomotive... but the one that didn't break the track.;)
Festivals: There are any number through the year but some you might like:
  • Shrewsbury Cartoon Festival: http://www.shrewsburycartoonfestival.com/
  • The Green Man Festival, Clun. (early May)
  • Arbor Day, Aston on Clun (late May)
  • Two different coracle regattas in Ironbridge (August) and Shrewsbury (September)
  • Shrewsbury Dragon Boat Festival (June)
  • Shrewsbury Flower Show (August) - In the Guinness Book of Records as the oldest show of its type in the world.
  • Tandem Triathlon, Bishop's Castle (July) http://www.tandemtriathlon.org.uk/
Like a good ghost story? The county has plenty but Wem Town Hall offers a cracker: http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/shropshire/hauntings/wem-town-hall.html

A good pint? Say no more:
  • The Three Tuns, Bishop's Castle - Britains oldest brewery (first licenced in 1642). XXX is one I'd recommend.
  • Hobsons - Cleobury Mortimer.
  • Ludlow Brewing Co. - Ludlow (what a surprise)
  • Salopian Brewery - now at Hadnall but formerly of Copthorne, Shrewsbury.
  • Stonehouse Brewery - Oswestry.
  • and several more......
How's that to be going on with?^_^

Last edited:
My references for any tour

1. Simon Jenkins "England's 1000 best churches"
2. Betjeman's "best British Curches"
3 . Julian Cope's "The modern Antiquarian" (also available as a Google Earth file)
4. Muirhead's Blue Guides -I have the 1926 versions
5. Google

..... And most important is the local pub. For the price of a pint you scan find out some wonderful local history from the locals

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Near me?
Historic Deptford (often overlooked by it's flasher neighbour Greenwich) site of Henry VIII's royal dockyard and the site where Elizabeth Knighted Francis Drake. Home to John Evelyn, 17th century diarist who famously welcomed Tsar Peter the Great to stay at Sayes House, who repaid his host's generosity by smashing the place up with his entourage in drink fuelled debauchery. Also in Deptford is St. Nicholas Church which has at the gates two stone carved skull and crossbones which were inspiration to Captain Morgan, a privateer who adopted the symbol for his flag which then became know as the "jolly roger". Buried in the the grounds is 16th century play-write and friend of Shakespeare Christopher Marlowe.

The ride all along the Thames N4 to N1 is one of my favourites, going from Tower Bridge, along past Deptford, Greenwich, Woolwich (great museum), past Crossness Victorian steam Pumping Station (well worth a visit if you can time it when they have an open day, about 5 a year I think) and continuing to Dartford, Gravesend, Chatham, Whitstable, Canterbury....

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Maharajah's Well, Christmas Common.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
All good stuff so far. And the idea is to visit every county, spending as many days there as is warranted by its size. So Rutland definitely gets a visit, albeit a short one. At least one great pint per county would be good too. Also, forgot to mention, any bonkers festivals, events and competitions would be great too.

You mean like the Cheese Rolling down Cooper's Hill near Gloucester? That is always truly mad. Also, you could always time it to arrive South of Gloucester just in time to race the Severn Bore along from Epney to Elmore Back. (Tide tables easily available on the net). I've done it a couple of times and it is good fun.

Top Bottom