The Bike Light Thread 22-23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK it's been a while since we had one of these.

We've just had some good reviews of the various Fenix lights !

I can currently recommend the cheap Planet X Ojos Front light and the Dog Star rears. Had these about a year of commuting. The Ojos is usually less than £7 and is 400 lumen. A couple are enough for paved riding in the dark.

I've got a fair few high powered chinese lights that are still going strong from many years ago, but I'm using separate battery packs with replaceable cells - the cells are panasonics and are still going strong.

As it's getting dark again, I decided to look for a light with a proper cut off to avoid dazzling other cyclists/walkers on my off road commute - pitch black and megawatt lights are blinding, especially without any cut off.

A shuffle on Ali-Express and I've come across a fair few, from the likes of Rock Bros etc etc

Not wanting to spend too much and give Ali Express a try again, I ordered a two Newboler LIG520's - total came to £40 for two.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...store_pc_home.smartJustForYou_2001999857622.1

They have taken just 12 days to arrive. VAT is now payable on the price you see on screen. Customs cleared straight away.

So far, I'm really happy with the cut off, they aren't dazzling. Three power levels, which cycle through, flash is by two quick presses which means no cycling through flash modes ! Lumens around 1000 which seems right.

USB C charging, decent allen key fixing, alloy mounting bracket and good plastic clips to remove light - mount stays on bars.

I'll post a picture later of the cut off.

figbat

Slippery scientist
All my night riding is offroad, with the occasional unavoidable road crossing or short section. I still stand by my Hope Vision R4+ - a compact light with a good output and a really pleasing colour temperature and beam pattern. I've said it before, it's like riding with a little pool of sunshine right in front of you. And Hope fixed it when it went wrong for nothing, even though it was out of warranty.

On the road sections I am aware of the potential to dazzle and will shade it with my hand if a car comes along.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On the road sections I am aware of the potential to dazzle and will shade it with my hand if a car comes along.
Do you not bother for other cyclists, then? ;)

In road -legal good -enough -to -see -with lights, Lidl did their usual USB charged special, slightly more expensive this year and probably sold out now. Aldi, Halfodds and others only have be-seen or off-road lights.

If anyone wants to upgrade to hub dynamo, both decathlon and bankrupt bike bits have rim braked front wheels from about £60.

Jameshow

Veteran

I can currently recommend the cheap Planet X Ojos Front light and the Dog Star rears. Had these about a year of commuting. The Ojos is usually less than £7 and is 400 lumen. A couple are enough for paved riding in the dark.

I've got a fair few high powered chinese lights that are still going strong from many years ago, but I'm using separate battery packs with replaceable cells - the cells are panasonics and are still going strong.

As it's getting dark again, I decided to look for a light with a proper cut off to avoid dazzling other cyclists/walkers on my off road commute - pitch black and megawatt lights are blinding, especially without any cut off.

A shuffle on Ali-Express and I've come across a fair few, from the likes of Rock Bros etc etc

Not wanting to spend too much and give Ali Express a try again, I ordered a two Newboler LIG520's - total came to £40 for two.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...store_pc_home.smartJustForYou_2001999857622.1

They have taken just 12 days to arrive. VAT is now payable on the price you see on screen. Customs cleared straight away.

So far, I'm really happy with the cut off, they aren't dazzling. Three power levels, which cycle through, flash is by two quick presses which means no cycling through flash modes ! Lumens around 1000 which seems right.

USB C charging, decent allen key fixing, alloy mounting bracket and good plastic clips to remove light - mount stays on bars.

Anyone know how to wire up a chinese MTB light to a 12v /5v usb power pack?

Say a 10ah jump starter pack which might fit under my saddle and power front and rear lights and my phone?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Anyone know how to wire up a chinese MTB light to a 12v /5v usb power pack?

Say a 10ah jump starter pack which might fit under my saddle and power front and rear lights and my phone?

You'll have to find a light with a near-enough 12v or 5v input voltage. After that it's surely just a + and - connection.

Jody

Stubborn git
What retina burners (with separate power packs) have you come across Fossy. Anything good?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

The older Chinese Lights used 8.4v - with a 4x battery pack. Some later models are USB and or 4.2v although 8.4 still available. Self contained lights tend to be 4.2v - my latest one runs off a 21700 battery.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
running 2 moon meteor front lights rated 600 lumens each on max power. good enough with 2 for country lanes that i got dirt cheap in a sale, now they go for about £25 each
only issue is when i have thick gloves on i cant change modes when riding as the button is too small for me
1665574100099.png

lazybloke

Considering a new username

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003793347991.html?gps-id=pcStoreJustForYou&scm=1007.23125.137358.0&scm_id=1007.23125.137358.0&scm-url=1007.23125.137358.0&pvid=6f8a1ab1-dd89-4ae3-94a0-c398981cbb3f&_t=gps-id:tongue:cStoreJustForYou,scm-url:1007.23125.137358.0,pvid:6f8a1ab1-dd89-4ae3-94a0-c398981cbb3f,tpp_buckets:668#2846#8112#1997&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000029387598165","sceneId":"13125"}&pdp_npi=2@dis!GBP!22.72!11.59!!!!!@0b0a23a916655694669994764e20db!12000029387598165!rec&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.smartJustForYou_2001999857622.1

What's the flash mode on that?
I've yet to find a low cost light that offers a useful flash or pulse mode for daylight use.

Otherwise I'm happy with a couple of Lidl front lights for commuting and even for all-night rides.

potsy

Rambler
Having just recently returned to cycle commuting I'm a bit out of touch with all things lighting, still using my Moon front light and a couple of Smart rears.
Have the retina burner as a back up with its separate power pack (still using the one fossy sourced with the Panasonic batteries)
With a 6 or 7 minute well lit commute I doubt I'll be buying any more for a while anyway.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

What retina burners (with separate power packs) have you come across Fossy. Anything good?

The old Yinding 2xU2 is my favourite, tiny and compact and you can get copies - it's a Gemini clone. Works OK on the road if angled down.

The old Solarstorm x2 'owl' lights are OK. I have one of them and an XT40, which is very bright, off road only, but you'll need a good battery for it.

MTB Batteries do a fair few 'decent' lights, and good batteries.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

What's the flash mode on that?
I've yet to find a low cost light that offers a useful flash or pulse mode for daylight use.

Otherwise I'm happy with a couple of Lidl front lights for commuting and even for all-night rides.

You've got a steady on, off, on, off, flash - just the right amount, and also one stupid crazy mode. The flash mode is steady, nothing fit inducing. It's good the flash is on a different mode cycle. Double fast click to go from 3 steady to two flash. Long press off.

Top Bottom