The Bike Light Thread 22-23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

I like the idea of this...This

and this...This

or This

I do like the idea of a brake light function. Anyone had experience of one?
Do they work? How do they work?

Bear in mind, I will only use them as daytime running lights. No night riding.

Alex321

Veteran
I like the idea of this...This

and this...This

or This

Bear in mind, I will only use them as daytime running lights. No night riding.

Well the first one is probably not really quite bright enough. At 45 lumens max, it won't really stand out enough for daylight running.

While the second is maybe a little too much. Would certainly be too much for night time. The red light can be lower than the white, even in daylight, but I would think something in the 75-100 area would be best for both.

The brake lights work by use of an accelerometer in the light. How good they are, I have no idea.

figbat

Slippery scientist

I have some experience of a different rear light with a brake light function. I have one and use it as my commuter light - it's quite neat in that if it senses no movement for a certain time it'll switch itself off and then come back on again when you move the bike. I have no idea how well the brake light function works other than holding it in my hand and seeing that it does work if I tip it one way then the other.

However, a riding buddy has the same light on his MTB which I see a lot of. I would say that whilst it does appear to work, it works too well, with any bump setting off the brake function, meaning it's rather meaningless as a brake light as you never know if he's braking or just hitting a bump, so he essentially has a random brightness light on the rear of his bike.

Sloth

Well the first one is probably not really quite bright enough. At 45 lumens max, it won't really stand out enough for daylight running.

While the second is maybe a little too much. Would certainly be too much for night time. The red light can be lower than the white, even in daylight, but I would think something in the 75-100 area would be best for both.

The brake lights work by use of an accelerometer in the light. How good they are, I have no idea.
Thanks.
OK, I see your point, although I don't want to blind or annoy anyone so I thought the Krog Frog would just give an added layer of visibility, rather than being blindingly in your face, so to speak.
Thing is, I don't want a great big light on the bike, I don't need it, so any suggestions for something very small, sleek and compact yet bright enough for daytime running would be welcome.

Sloth

I have some experience of a different rear light with a brake light function. I have one and use it as my commuter light - it's quite neat in that if it senses no movement for a certain time it'll switch itself off and then come back on again when you move the bike. I have no idea how well the brake light function works other than holding it in my hand and seeing that it does work if I tip it one way then the other.

However, a riding buddy has the same light on his MTB which I see a lot of. I would say that whilst it does appear to work, it works too well, with any bump setting off the brake function, meaning it's rather meaningless as a brake light as you never know if he's braking or just hitting a bump, so he essentially has a random brightness light on the rear of his bike.
OK, thanks.
So there are probably brake lights and brake lights, and not all will be equal I'm sure. I certainly don't want a random bump-o-meter light, so if that's what they are then I'd rather avoid the feature altogether.
Regarding the auto-off feature, so does it turn off after seconds or minutes? Imagine being at traffic lights or some other cause for stopping. You don't neccessarily want your lights to turn off... do you? Surely you still want to be seen, even when stationary, for as long as your actually sat on your bike anyways.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks.
OK, I see your point, although I don't want to blind or annoy anyone so I thought the Krog Frog would just give an added layer of visibility, rather than being blindingly in your face, so to speak.
Thing is, I don't want a great big light on the bike, I don't need it, so any suggestions for something very small, sleek and compact yet bright enough for daytime running would be welcome.

The rubber fixings on Knog bikes don’t get great press, probably less of an issue if you won’t be removing regularly when locking up etc. although you will for charging

The moon light I suggested is very small and unobtrusive, easy to slide on and off the bracket too

figbat

Slippery scientist
OK, thanks.
So there are probably brake lights and brake lights, and not all will be equal I'm sure. I certainly don't want a random bump-o-meter light, so if that's what they are then I'd rather avoid the feature altogether.
Regarding the auto-off feature, so does it turn off after seconds or minutes? Imagine being at traffic lights or some other cause for stopping. You don't neccessarily want your lights to turn off... do you? Surely you still want to be seen, even when stationary, for as long as your actually sat on your bike anyways.

I don’t know the duration, but it is much longer than a typical traffic stop.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another recommendation for the Planet X Dogstars as mentioned by @fossyant earlier. For £40 you can get two front & two rear lights that are probably bright enough for daytime use at the lowest setting. I have mine as the 'to be seen with' night time lights set up as below (the vertically positioned rear is normally on low flash)
IMG_20221110_194507949.jpg

IMG_20221110_194243425_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Another recommendation for the Planet X Dogstars as mentioned by @fossyant earlier. For £40 you can get two front & two rear lights that are probably bright enough for daytime use at the lowest setting. I have mine as the 'to be seen with' night time lights set up as below (the vertically positioned rear is normally on low flash)
View attachment 667530

View attachment 667531

That is exactly how I have my two read Dogstar lights.

Sloth

Thanks guys, I'm trying to find something a little more discreet, at least for the ront light. Not the brightness, the actual body of the unit itself?

Top Bottom