The Bike Light Thread 22-23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Hmmm, not sure about that - it doesn't appear to make my cup of tea in the morning. That's a deal-breaker, sorry!

(also not much use to other Brits, given the delivery blockade. But we can't blame @BalkanExpress for that! )

It is available in the UK, but a lot more expensive.
https://www.bikester.co.uk/busch-muller-ixon-space-led-battery-headlight-M450167.html
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lightinglighting-usb/busch-muller-ixon-space-iq2-front-usb-light/

Jameshow

Veteran
I have a generic MTB light with battery pack that has 4 cells. Anyone know how you go about wiring it to a usb connector so that it would run off a power pack?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have a generic MTB light with battery pack that has 4 cells. Anyone know how you go about wiring it to a usb connector so that it would run off a power pack?
Get the pin out for the generic battery pack ( internet, manufacturer, packet, prodding with a multimeter. ..) and wire its plug to a USB plug appropriately? But 4 cells may not be 5V so it may be dim or not work at all.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Get the pin out for the generic battery pack ( internet, manufacturer, packet, prodding with a multimeter. ..) and wire its plug to a USB plug appropriately? But 4 cells may not be 5V so it may be dim or not work at all.

The light will no doubt want 7.5v so you’ll need some way to amplify the 5v output from a USB power pack.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It would be cheaper to buy a USB powered light or get a new battery. Some are 8.2, others 4.2/5v. Ony issue is USB isn't waterproof nor vibration proof (connectors).

mjr

It would be cheaper to buy a USB powered light or get a new battery. Some are 8.2, others 4.2/5v. Ony issue is USB isn't waterproof nor vibration proof (connectors).
There are a few waterproof USB connectors, but I've not seen vibration proof.

It's not too bad with cables because they're cheap and sometimes can be repaired by resoldering, but vibration trashing a device socket is worse.

Sloth

Can anyone recommend a nice and sleek set of daytime running lights, or ‘be seen’ lights.
I’ll not be night riding so don’t need anything too heavy duty.
Something sleek and slimline would be nice though.
USB rechargeable if poss?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can anyone recommend a nice and sleek set of daytime running lights, or ‘be seen’ lights.
I’ll not be night riding so don’t need anything too heavy duty.
Something sleek and slimline would be nice though.
USB rechargeable if poss?

Leyzene Zecto Drives are pretty good as a daytime light

mjr

But please remember that no light will ever make you "be seen" if it's one of the many many drivers looking at their phone. I had two close passes in two days this weekend and that was in my car, which has more than enough lights and bulk!

Sloth

But please remember that no light will ever make you "be seen" if it's one of the many many drivers looking at their phone. I had two close passes in two days this weekend and that was in my car, which has more than enough lights and bulk!
Couldn’t agree more.
I ride with the same assumption as when I drive, that they’re all idiots out to get me 😉

Sloth

Thanks, but seem to have light sensors that turn them on when dark, but I’m only after daytime running or ‘be seen’ lights.
I’ll not be riding at night or after dark.
Perhaps I’m missing something with the Moon front light?

vickster

Legendary Member
You just press a button like any light to activate. I’ve never noticed them coming on otherwise :wacko:
Personally i only run lights in the dark!

Last edited:
Top Bottom