The Bike Light Thread 22-23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks I’ll take a look.

Just to say I got the 250 lumen ones - slightly more spendy - Zecto Drive 250 front and Zecto MAX Drive 250 rear (bigger battery too).

They have a bright daytime flash mode, flashes fairly brightly for 3 flashes then pulses one maximum one - fairly noticeable during the day, especially under shade and tree 'dappling' in sunlight. They run for hours.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Planet X COB lights would be OK too - the Dogstars - I've got a couple of the rears I use commuting - I use them on level one or two of four and they also have a decent flash mode which you can vary the brightness.

Sloth

You just press a button like any light to activate. I’ve never noticed them coming on otherwise :wacko:
Personally i only run lights in the dark!
The link you sent takes you to a light with a sensor to turn it on/off depending on the light?

vickster

Legendary Member
The link you sent takes you to a light with a sensor to turn it on/off depending on the light?

Added feature only as far as I know, just get something else. Ask your lbs. You’re buying on C2W, so you can get the same tax benefits on lights

Ok there’s a cheaper non auto version, might be better
https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-meteor-auto-x-rechargeable-front-bike-light-2019-157544.html
And a rear go with, under £30 for both
https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-comet-x-rechargeable-rear-light-93616.html

Last edited:

Sloth

Actually I’m not buying on C2W now as my employer has done a U turn on it.
I’ve bought it cash but at a decent (15%) discount.
I was never going to commute 35 miles each way on the bike anyway.
Such is life.

vickster

Legendary Member
Actually I’m not buying on C2W now as my employer has done a U turn on it.
I’ve bought it cash but at a decent (15%) discount.
I was never going to commute 35 miles each way on the bike anyway.
Such is life.

Could consider that as the correct decision as you were never going to commute on it (even part of the way).
The Merlin ones linked are good value given for daylight use, they have decent battery life too

Last edited:

Sloth

Could consider that as the correct decision as you were never going to commute on it (even part of the way).
The Merlin ones linked are good value given for daylight use, they have decent battery life too

Yeah but that was nothing to do with it.
They just decided that they were short on cash flow and that if they did it for me they'd have to do it for everyone. That coudl've been expensive for them when cash flow is tight.

Anyway, I work from home half the week so I could have cycled around the block and back home to work? :okay:
That should have satisfied the morality police.

vickster

Legendary Member
They just decided that they were short on cash flow and that if they did it for me they'd have to do it for everyone. That coudl've been expensive for them when cash flow is tight.

Anyway, I work from home half the week so I could have cycled around the block and back home to work? :okay:

Better in life to be led by your own moral compass :okay:

Sloth

1667907820132.png

Dadam

I'm no expert on these matters but it should have been at worst cost neutral for them, probably a net benefit. They save the employer's national insurance contributions (13.8%) on all the funds processed.
Linky from the scheme my employer uses

On the flip side there is some additional admin costs, especially if they're new to it and doing it for only one employee, but that should soon be offset if they do it for everyone. It's meant to be a win-win

Sloth

I'm no expert on these matters but it should have been at worst cost neutral for them, probably a net benefit. They save the employer's national insurance contributions (13.8%) on all the funds processed.
Linky from the scheme my employer uses

On the flip side there is some additional admin costs, especially if they're new to it and doing it for only one employee, but that should soon be offset if they do it for everyone. It's meant to be a win-win
They still have the initial outlay, which is the issue right now, especially if several others wanted to do it.
Times are hard right now and they are only a small family business.

Top Bottom