The Bike Light Thread 22-23

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Funnily enough I bought yet another light a few weeks ago that looks very similar to your @fossyant . I already use a dynamo system but wanted a boost of light in the really dark areas. I wanted a Go Pro mount so I could leave it on the bike without a casual thief nicking it, I also did not want to pay too much. £20 on eBay (without the bracket) got me this and I am really happy with it.

View attachment 664386

I have a much brighter light for full off road adventures, but this is great as a fit and forget supplement on my CdF.

I looked at those too - £20 on ebay is really good. - over £30 on Ali-Express ! There is also one that can be mounted on top, or underneath - has grooves in the side that enables it to slot into a mount ensuring it can be 'flipped' so the cut off is the right way.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good call on Ali Express - it seems they have the Fenix BC21r I've been looking at for considerably less than domestic sellers (maybe £55-60 v. £85). Ordinarily I'd be wary of knock-offs, but since they're Chinese in origin anyway and Fenix appear to have an official outlet on there (complete with decent feedback) it looks worth a punt :smile:

Add VAT on at checkout though

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I looked at those too - £20 on ebay is really good. - over £30 on Ali-Express ! There is also one that can be mounted on top, or underneath - has grooves in the side that enables it to slot into a mount ensuring it can be 'flipped' so the cut off is the right way.

I wanted one with a non-removable mount to stop it being nicked. I have another light with a bolt on Go Pro mount but that interface causes a wobble on anything other than a smooth surface.

I was using pretty cheap bike lights from Amazon.

But they kept breaking down quick.

So, I bit the bullet and bought a NiteRider combo with the headlight and backlight.

It wasn't cheap. Over $100 USD. But man are they of great quality! I ride at night a lot and wanted a light that I could brighten up to make a vehicle turn off their high beams. That light did the trick.

But I'm always open to alternatives that are just as good but cheaper?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Having had both my Hope Vision Ones nicked, I needed a new front light. Got an Alpkit Ariel. I'll be getting at least one Hope to supplement it (on all-night rides, two lights are not only an extremely good idea for safety reasons, but better spread of light with lower outputs to preserve battery life as well. Most USB chargeable lights I've seen have either too small batteries to meet my needs (if it can't do at least eight hours on continuous, preferably more, no good) or ££££ price tags. Ariel is £44.99 (I got it a few weeks back on sale), 14 hours with 100 lumens output or 7 with 200, sturdy build and a decent mount (much like a Cateye FlexTight bracket, though sadly incompatible, I have a few spares...). Haven't been able to compare the output with a Hope yet (soon), but most impressive- rather more light than the Hope, which is not exactly poor, a considerably broader throw, easy to use. Only slight niggle- USB port is so tight (for waterproofing) most of my cables won't work with it, need to find a supply of slimline ones.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran

Yes, I had. I would want at least the 1200, and preferably the 1600 (which has a wireless remote - the 1200 and 1000 are wired).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I ride at night a lot and wanted a light that I could brighten up to make a vehicle turn off their high beams. That light did the trick.

But I'm always open to alternatives that are just as good but cheaper?

I discovered a way to get drivers to dip their lights. On one ride I had a low power head torch on as well as a light on the bike. I pointed the head torch towards the oncoming drivers then flicked the beam down towards the road. I sometimes had to do it 2 or 3 times, but to my astonishment every single one of them eventually took the hint and dipped their lights!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
For anyone interested in the Fenix range of lights -BC21r, BC26r, BC30 - (which seem to be the only game in town if you want a device with removable batteries) I've gone full-OCD in picking them to pieces in my thread over yer :laugh:

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I discovered a way to get drivers to dip their lights. On one ride I had a low power head torch on as well as a light on the bike. I pointed the head torch towards the oncoming drivers then flicked the beam down towards the road. I sometimes had to do it 2 or 3 times, but to my astonishment every single one of them eventually took the hint and dipped their lights!

I might try that myself.
Couple weeks ago I decided to do a night ride over Rivington. Doing about 20mph and coming to a downhill where the road winds to the right, some blimp coming up the road blinded the hell out of me and I had to brake like hell to a full stop incase I went through the fence on the left. Couldn't see a damn thing. Luckily the driver behind me braked in time to not run me over.

Back on topic though, Ima gonna continue to use my 8 yr old B&M Cyo T senso blah blah blah something or other dyno light. Bright, secure, never runs out of battery power and doesn't blind everyone else.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Back on topic though, Ima gonna continue to use my 8 yr old B&M Cyo T senso blah blah blah something or other dyno light. Bright, secure, never runs out of battery power and doesn't blind everyone else.
Couldn't agree more :okay:

The current "premium" versions are usefully better though. A bit brighter, but, more usefully, a much wider beam.

Or close equivalent. Light on the road, not in oncoming riders' eyes. Be-seen blinkies (which are over half of all bike lights) are mostly fine (not bright enough to dazzle) but riders using MTB floodlights on roads are a danger to themselves and others because a blinded driver could hit any of us before they can stop. It is almost inexcusable when decent 80lux sets started from about £15 two months ago. I prefer unlit riders to floodlighters!

Or get the best of both worlds, sensible cut off AND stupid bright :becool:

https://www.bike24.com/p2193743.html

Top Bottom