The Boat Race - two and a half *hours*?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I might watch in the hope that one sinks or beggar the thought, it's actually competitive this year.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
it is odd, I'm a football fan and back in the day, I loved the preamble and silly games and following the teams preparation that went with the FA Cup final, it made an occasion for the non attenders (only been once when my team got there, I hate the notion of the corporate lingers and neutrals at such a day for the participating team's fans - but thats another gripe)

whereas the boat race used to just ping up as the folks were getting their wellies off. now it seems totally the other way around.

must be cheaper and better BBC form in these austere times to pander to the university crowd than the football lot.

or maybe its just an easy day near home for Claire Balding so her fees make it worthwhile ;)

Idly browsing for a movie to watch this afternoon, given that it's apparently going to be pissing down, I just discovered that BBC1 is giving two and half hours over to The Boat Race - a 25 minute display of mind-numbing tedium and pointlessness, to which some chinless wonder has decided to add a barely-believable two hours of padding. Up the upper classes, what?
It's a laugh / cracking atmosphere watching the race from a pub by the river, but without the atmosphere, it's a bit dull.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's a laugh / cracking atmosphere watching the race from a pub by the river, but without the atmosphere, it's a bit dull.

It's a fascinating trial of strength, endurance and strategy.

I envy their fitness but not the time that the competitors have to spend in training to achieve that level of fitness.

gavgav

Guru
Womens' start time 3:10pm
Mens'...4:10pm
My comment was more a general one about sport, as I've never been a fan of the boat race and won't be watching. Sky Sports just love to talk about events, hence why I tune in just before kick off for the footy.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Why do you never see anyone racing against a horse in horse racing?

You do if you go to the Whole Earth Man vs Horse Marathon

The Man v Horse Marathon began in June 1980 following a chat over a pint (or three) in the back bar of Neuadd Arms Hotel. The then Landlord, Gordon Green overheard two men discussing the relative merits of men and horses running over mountainous terrain. The enterprising Gordon, never one to miss an opportunity to promote Llanwrtyd Wells and improve business at his hotel, decided to put it to the test. And so began Green Events and its first, longest standing and now internationally acclaimed event, The Man versus Horse Marathon.

The course was changed in 1982 to provide a more even match between the man and the horse resulting year on year in very close finishes - sometimes with the horse winning by only a few seconds. It took 25 years before a man finally beat a horse, Huw Lobb won in 2hrs and 5mins beating the fastest horse by 2 minutes. His feat was repeated 3 years later by Florien Holtinger, but the horse has remained unbeaten for the 8 years since.

Top Bottom