The Boat Race - two and a half *hours*?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well, yes and no. Yes they are clearly elite competitors at the top of their game. No it is not the only rowing race in the world but might as well be as far as the BBC is concerned, and that is for reasons to do with regular snobbery.

I'd certainly agree with you regarding the rugby varsity match which, frankly, is poor quality fare, not worthy of TV coverage and all about snobbery. But I think the rowing is of international standard and stands up as a sporting event in its own right.

The argument you make about rowing could equally be made about a range of sports that are UK-centric in terrestrial coverage. Footy for a start

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Try adjusting the colour control on your TV, Speicher!

Rollocks to you!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yeah but, it isn't even UK centric, it is Oxbridge centric. There has to be other international standard rowing in the country that doesn't get the attention.
There is, but hardly anyone would watch it. Rowing is not a sport that has mass popularity, the varsity boat race gets the attention it does because it has a long standing and famous tradition.

I did actually see a bit of it back in the sixties, West Ham were playing at Craven Cottage and you could see the river from the part of the ground the where Hammers fans were.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
We were in Henley a while back, crewing a steam launch for some nob or other, when we observed members of some rowing club wearing black and yellow striped jackets.
"They look like wasps" said Hover fly "and for pretty much the same reason, as a warning."

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Well, yes and no. Yes they are clearly elite competitors at the top of their game. No it is not the only rowing race in the world but might as well be as far as the BBC is concerned, and that is for reasons to do with regular snobbery.
To be fair it is just about the only elite* rowing race that is tactical and where the weather, the tide and the current play a part. Most are deadly dull affairs rowed on flat, still water in lanes.

*within reason...

Top Bottom