The booze-quittin' buddy thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toeknee

Über Member
Well done busman, I'm 4 years in July not smoking, just wish I could quit the booze as easy, drink most nights, ( lager)
Putting weight on , off work with depression, ( week 4 ), got a crackin bike and ride buddy's , havnt been out for 4 weeks,
Just sinking deeper in to it am afraid, can't see a way out at the moment.

Tin Pot

Guru
Well done busman, I'm 4 years in July not smoking, just wish I could quit the booze as easy, drink most nights, ( lager)
Putting weight on , off work with depression, ( week 4 ), got a crackin bike and ride buddy's , havnt been out for 4 weeks,
Just sinking deeper in to it am afraid, can't see a way out at the moment.

Reach out and talk to someone.

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
I had a beer round my neighbours place on Sunday. Before then, I think it was 2 months ago when friends came round... Before that I'd say January possibly.

Have drunk 3 times this year. All in moderation.

Do I count the wine I put in food :blush:

david k

Hi
Well I've had a few drinks but only been drunk once this year so far

Happy with that, feel much better, hate missing days through hangovers

I don't mind lazy days sober, feel like I'm resting but wasting a day because I'm hungover is such a waste

yello

I'm seriously thinking of quitting. Been considering it for a few years now, and have cut back in that time but...

For me, the issue is twofold; what person I'll become after a drink or two, and the uncertainty regarding day after.

Drinking effects me negatively sometimes. I can get down, argumentative and generally unpleasant. I don't like me when I'm like that.

I can have 2 glasses of wine and feel like sh*t the following day. Not always but sometimes, and happening more frequently. Not hungover per se either, just run down and not 100%.

I don't like the lottery that drinking has become for me, the uncertainty of how it'll effect me. So I reckon I'm going to stop. Shame, I like a drink and will miss it. But it's not worth it anymore.

I see a problem in transitioning, getting others to accept that I no longer drink. My wife still asks (out of politeness) if I want a glass of wine with dinner, even though she knows I'm wanting to stop. Friends pour wine as I walk through the door. It's just accepted that I drink. That'll be a hurdle to clear but after that it should be okay.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've drunk a lot less over the last 12 months than I did in the previous 12 months. It's only that the gaps in between are getting longer though, I still have a "I've started so I'll finish" issue where I'll drink 12 cans in a night, go the pub the following lunchtime then 12 cans that evening. That's a weekend so I'll not drink on the Sunday to prepare for work Monday but my hangovers now last 3 or 4 days. Once I've had a weekend, I'll probably stop for 2 or 3 weeks then do it again. I doubt this is healthy.

Anyway I haven't had a drink since last Sunday and the OH would like me to have an extended break so that's the current intention. Problem is after 3 weeks, I forget how bad the hangovers are. :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I see a problem in transitioning, getting others to accept that I no longer drink..
FWIW I anticipated problems like that, but encountered absolutely none. 7 years now, I think.

martint235

Dog on a bike
So I'm on day 2 of what's looking like it will be a 3 day hangover. After multiple failures though I can't decide whether to give up in the New Year or try a different tack of "less quantity but better quality" beer. Will see how I feel on Thursday/Friday although I can't have a great deal at New Year as I'm on call.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
What about 'Dry January' @martint235 ? I did this last year, then forgot about it until I'd got through dry February, March, April, May, June, July and August. I had a small Single Malt at the end of September, a Glass of wine last week and I think a small blackberry vodka about 4 weeks ago.

I'm all for Dry January again, it's done wonders for my weight loss. No hangovers either.
As for my friends, only one kept saying 'one drink won't hurt you', I just make sure that I don't go out in the evening with him. That's that sorted out.

martint235

Dog on a bike
What about 'Dry January' @martint235 ? I did this last year, then forgot about it until I'd got through dry February, March, April, May, June, July and August. I had a small Single Malt at the end of September, a Glass of wine last week and I think a small blackberry vodka about 4 weeks ago.

I'm all for Dry January again, it's done wonders for my weight loss. No hangovers either.
As for my friends, only one kept saying 'one drink won't hurt you', I just make sure that I don't go out in the evening with him. That's that sorted out.
I might give it another go. For some reason the actual stopping is quite easy, it's the staying stopped. It always seems to be around the 3 week mark. The trouble with Jan is that it's got SWMBO birthday in it and we tend to go out.

Also with a fair bit of alcohol currently in the house, I tend to think "If I'm not stopping for ever, there's no point stopping at all" and I'd be loathe to throw away the stuff we've got now. As I said I'll probably get through the New Year period without anything as I'm on call till the 5th Jan.

I do really like hangover free weekends though! :smile:

subaqua

What’s the point
I might give it another go. For some reason the actual stopping is quite easy, it's the staying stopped. It always seems to be around the 3 week mark. The trouble with Jan is that it's got SWMBO birthday in it and we tend to go out.

Also with a fair bit of alcohol currently in the house, I tend to think "If I'm not stopping for ever, there's no point stopping at all" and I'd be loathe to throw away the stuff we've got now. As I said I'll probably get through the New Year period without anything as I'm on call till the 5th Jan.

I do really like hangover free weekends though! :smile:

This is the bit for me. having the one is a non starter as it inevitably leads to
Always-when-you-hear-Just-one-drink.jpg

and we have shedloads of good stuff in that i really cant get rid of.

i might try dry January from the 4th onwards . just need loads of sparkling water to help me through the first few weeks

martint235

Dog on a bike
This is the bit for me. having the one is a non starter as it inevitably leads to
Always-when-you-hear-Just-one-drink.jpg

and we have shedloads of good stuff in that i really cant get rid of.

i might try dry January from the 4th onwards . just need loads of sparkling water to help me through the first few weeks
Same here. Once I've started there's no point me even pretending I'm going to stop. And it usually takes something important for me to stop. For example on Sunday was having a few beers but was already thinking "Tuesday is a go to work day, no ifs no buts as I need to collect the duty phone", otherwise I'd have been on the lash yesterday too and working from home today.

Top Bottom