The booze-quittin' buddy thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I did the first half of this year with no problem, then I cycled out to my nan`s on one warm summer`s evening (remember them?:laugh::laugh:) and she offered me a cold one, I couldn`t refuse, but that was the end of it!

I`ve been "indulging" a bit more than I should do over the last 2-3 months due to family problems which I won`t rabbit on about here. Had some good news today and all is now well on that front, so having my last few real ales tonight and back on the wagon tomorrow for.........well indefinitely probably.

Looking forward to it:smile::okay:

martint235

Dog on a bike
if the port has been opened then it needs consuming within a few days ( 2 weeks tops) or it really does get awful. I had to sack one butler for that offence.
Really? The one I drank last Xmas (I got new port this year) was opened about 6 years ago. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm five weeks into not having a drop, and it looks like that will have to continue well into next year (broken back) As I'll be on early starers and driving to work, any mid week tipples will be a no no when I get back to work.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Day 1 nearly over and the family have been doing their best to ruin it. Prosecco and beer have been flowing with good food but it didn't bother me.

I've got a weekend of food then the dairy and bread famine to go with dry January

Effyb4

Veteran
I'm going to give dry January a go this year. I have got into the habit of drinking a bit too much. I think I am going to find this tough. I did finish off the last of a bottle of wine we started before the challenge began (about half a glass), but now it will be soft drinks only for the rest of January.

subaqua

What’s the point
A 'Late Bottled Vintage' will, allegedly, not go off if the air gets to it..

I thought that , but a good friend whose family is in the port business advised differently

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I was what I thought a heavy drinker at least six days a week, cycling was one of the culprits didn't have to worry about being OTT in the morning and it solved my hangovers PLUS it worked off some of the calories. In fact it kind of forced my commuting routine in the early days. I can't binge purely because I am a lightweight 3 large bottles on San Miguel and I am three parts to the wind. I was ill during 2014/15 and went 6+ months without a drink, now not only am I even more of a lightweight but Christ I pay for it the next morning. But the intake in terms of number of days is creeping back up. So going to take a look at abstaining again. The only comfort from the illness was the last thing I wanted to do was have a drink (or ride my bike) so I knew it wasn't as bigger problem as I thought it had become, but still pretty unhealthy, and way over the units I am supposedly allowed per week.

I also found that my Wife and I were enablers, either egging each other on in the shall we have a drink or not tonight stakes or if one wasn't really up for it they would to keep the other company all unspoken messages but we both new what was going on!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Really? The one I drank last Xmas (I got new port this year) was opened about 6 years ago. :smile:

@subaqua is right. Whilst you can drink port for ages after it's been opened it definitely loses some of its qualities after a short time. I had a nice bottle of vintage port for Xmas. Opened it on 25th, it was ll gone by 28th. Vintage port is too nice a drink to allow it to linger

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm on a dry January as usual. Done it every year for probably the last twenty.

Motivation is the usual. I like drinking. But I should test myself to make sure there's no dependency issue. By my thinking, if I can manage a month with no problem then I'm fine. I've always managed the month without any problems at all.

Interestingly I don't feel any different health-wise having had a month off drinking. But I normally only drink Fri/Sat/Sun under normal circumstances anyway

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well so far (touches wood looking laminate stuff) my experiment has gone ok. I actually still have some of the 30 bottles of beer received on Xmas day left although it's not a true experiment yet as I'm still on call until Tuesday so there's a blocker to how much I can drink anyway. I am liking having a couple of beers in the evening and no hangover though

Top Bottom