The bright idea thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5310283, member: 45"]They triage the potholes. It's a money saver not a money waster, and means that the most worthy potholes get filled first.

Sorry, I just realised this is another bored, grumpy old retired men DM letters page and I've disturbed the flow.[/QUOTE]

There's no point triaging potholes if they then leave it so long that the paint marking the ones selected for repair has worn away.

Although...thats a good ploy to save money cos when the lads eventually go out to fix them there are none visibly marked up to be fixed.

Tin Pot

Guru
How about binmen come into the garden to collect bins and return them when they're emptied instead of pavements becoming impassable for the mobility impaired one day a week.

What heaven is this where bins are collected every week? :ohmy:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
How about binmen come into the garden to collect bins and return them when they're emptied instead of pavements becoming impassable for the mobility impaired one day a week.

Just like they always used to. And those were the days when the fellers had to hump dustbins around. No cushy wheely bin pushing for the binmen of my youth.

If the trend continues, then projected forward there will come a time when residents have to drag their bins out to the actual dust cart, and a few years after that residents will be expected to drive the dust cart too.

Solution? Revert to the refuse collection routine of the seventies. Next!

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
What heaven is this where bins are collected every week? :ohmy:

There's a collection in our street every week: rotates between landfill every 4th week(grey), composting every week(brown), paper every other week(blue), plastics & glass every other other week(green).

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I understand rhe process fully - my BiL is a civil engineer working for the Highways Department of a neighbouring county, and even he despairs at the potholes being marked for repair, them being left so long the markings wear off, meaning the repair crews won t fix them because they can't identify them....so the man with the paint marks them again. Gross inefficiency.

Sending someone out to repair a pothole immediately costs no more than sending the same person out to do the same job in three months time.

Anyway, my fault, distracting you all too much with one very simple solution to a problem - any other problems and ideas for solutions?

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
[QUOTE 5310421, member: 45"] All the paint does is show the cyclist that buckles their wheel that the council knew about the hole, so they're more likely to get compensation..[/QUOTE]

The opposite I am afraid -

"In a recent case, council insurers argued that the paint around a pothole proved that road workers were aware of the defect and it was in their schedule to be fixed

They claimed that proved a “reasonable inspection and repair system”, meaning the authority wasn’t liable for damage to vehicles."

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Clearly the claimant had a sheet lawyer then if they let them get away with a facile argument like that as a defence.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
They are not all in need of a repair.... imagine someone call's the council and says there is a pothole on *** road, they report it to a contractor, who goes out to inspect it.

Potholes over 40mm deep require repair, but depending on the road/location/footfall etc, this repair needs to be done within certain timeframes, ie. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month etc. There is more to the process than you would think, and if the council's had infinite resources, then they would pay for them to be repaired immediately, but government cuts obviously dont allow that.

We all realise this but any pothole is a danger to cyclists and has potential to damage cars and will only get worse and more expensive.

Is a sad state of affairs when councils would rather see people injured and dead then pay some compo than make safer roads.

Anyway this thread like most has lost its light hearted way. Let's get back on topic.

Tin Pot

Guru
We could save so much time, so many civil law cases and so many posts...simply by returning to a Solomonesque system by which all disputes are resolved with one of three judgements “Yes”, “No” or “Cut It in Half, You Each Take A Piece”.

Eg
Complainant: The council owe me ten grand for a new gatorskin and the pain and suffering of putting the new tyre in.

Judgement: No.

Tin Pot

Guru
Close all prisons and reopen them as homeless shelters. Resolve all criminal law cases with a large circus cannon situated on the cliffs of Dover.

Sentencing just requires a distance they will be fired, and whether they get a helmet or not.

Naturally some will land in the surf, some in the sea, some in France, and so on.

Top Bottom