The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Doc has advised me today she doesn't think I should be cycling with my shoulder injury.

Good news is I wasn't paying attention ;)

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I made my spreadsheet program blow up when it tried to wrangle the OS BenchMark archive. It's a bit huge isn't it.
Yep, mines weren't much better.
I've located what I know is local to Port Glasgow and Kilmacolm and created another sheet.
I'll see if I can mark them on memory map and go hunting although I know quite a few are on demolished properties.
I tried to get them in OS location but I'm not a whiz with spreadsheets so daughter has been called, if they can be put in order, life get easier plus there are duplicates everywhere plus it isn't in a regular order, I've Ayr locations next to mine, its 30 odd miles away.
This would be good for winter nights and wet days..
I'll try a few and see if any success..

TBH probably best hunting down the BenchMark site ones...

Doc has advised me today she doesn't think I should be cycling with my shoulder injury.

Good news is I wasn't paying attention ;)
She doesn't know you don't pedal a shoulder injury?^_^

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I think using the OS database for searching for benchmarks presents more of a challenge. I'll give it a go and hopefully log some new ones on the bench-marks.org.uk website.
I took 15 off the OS database, pedalled out and found 1.
A few were rivets on stones, part of dry stane dykes, mostly all fallen but on a couple, it was obvious where they had 'marked' it but nothing in place. I got one on a bridge over a burn and chanced upon one cut mark on a nearby bridge.
I'll post a couple of photos once I get back plus some urban exploring:whistle: en route. The buildings were either coated or just not there.
I'll organise others...and try again.
KIlmacolm, Pennytersal Bridge (cut mark)
20170503_091614.jpg

KIlmacolm, Blacksholm Bridge
Rivethead, I assume has rotted off..it fits all the criteria
20170503_094131.jpg

Balrossie nr Kilmacolm, ex-approved school (and painted name plate)
20170503_095418.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
As long as I don't have to go by bike, Dunkery Beacon, Exmoor yesterday.
IMG_0665.JPG

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
@Tim Hall
I've managed to copy amd paste all info relevant to my area NS on the OS database.
On checking a couple of CBMs I found, I find more than a couple pieces of the wrong information.

example 1 of many I'm afraid.
Railway bridge
OS .jpg

Left-hand flag is the exact position, I took a reading with my GPS, 3 of to get average.
I then searched the database and nothing popped up.
I then located the bridge info and the OS reference marked up as the right-hand flag.

I hadn't really noticed this until I found a CBM mark on a wall and the same thing.
I might just stick to anything obvious like railway bridges etc,
a pal sent me photos of a rivet on a local reservoir wall, the coordinates don't match up either but I haven't had the time to find it yet.

In true OS fashion, bodged.

Tim Hall

Having become a world expert (I've read an article on the internet!) on OSGB and lat & long, it could well be that it's not bodgery but down to the different conversions available between OSGB and other systems. There's a brain crushing explanation on the OS website somewhere. Meanwhile, I'd agree that looking for distinct features such as bridges is a good move. I went looking for a BM near me "wall, 52m north of junction". Easy enough to find but then I remembered the wall in question was rebuilt a few years back having been clobbered by a badly driven car.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
The reading on the left of the above image is the correct position took with the Garmin , even on the map, the cut mark is at that corner. of the bridge
I've more than a few out in the immediate area.
I use Memory Map and I inputted OS's own position of CBM, it is the one on the right.
I'd love to be wrong as it would help me greatly.

Top Bottom