The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

No intentions of hunting today, other royal duties:whistle:
I was heading to a dalliance with the Maid ;)(of the loch, it's a boat)
Up a one-way street, the wrong way and there it was
View attachment 351903
CBM, Dumbarton, Bankend Rd

another one not on the Bench Mark site ....
Good going. Presumably it's on the OS Database.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Good going. Presumably it's on the OS Database.
Yep..
Bankend.jpg

I didn't have my GPS but on Memory Map, it shows as NS 3951 7563.. (approx)
Their mark is a car park...a few hundred metres to the east.
Edited to add...
I'd OS locate on phone, dang.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

Wandering to the butcher's a few miles from home, mind in neutral, I suddenly remembered this thread. "Ooh, theres' an old bridge. I wonder if it has bench mark?". And foom! one appears.
2017-05-13 13.26.13.jpg

BR PARA NW CHURCH LANE AT C BURSTOW STR

As superpowers go, I feel its usefulness is somewhat limited. But the BM isn't on bench-marks.org.uk's list, so I'll add it later. The OS claim quite a few round there, including the church, which, trivia fans, had John Flamsteed, the first astronomer royal as a rector, so sort of liniked as I guess he had an inkling where the Greenwich Meridian is.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As superpowers go, I feel its usefulness is somewhat limited. But the BM isn't on bench-marks.org.uk's list, so I'll add it later. The OS claim quite a few round there, including the church, which, trivia fans, had John Flamsteed, the first astronomer royal as a rector, so sort of liniked as I guess he had an inkling where the Greenwich Meridian is.[/QUOTE]
Out of interest did you know the Greenwich Meridian passes through Accra.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think the 90th longitude and 40th parallel meet in a state park, the (little)Jim Edgar Panther Creek State Fish and Wildlife Area. We called him little Jim because he succeeded Big Jim Thompson. I actually thought Jim Edgar was a good governor, better than most, and did not wind up in jail after his term as governor, in company with Pat(here's lookin down at ya)Quinn. I may have to make a long distance pilgrimage, although I live almost on the 89th meridian here.
Data Sheet-
https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox=LC1951
Addendum: Of the past four governors of Illinois, two, George Ryan, and Rod Blagojevich, have done, or are currently doing, prison time. Jim Edgar and Pat Quinn seem to be doing just fine without such antics as would land one in incarceration. Republicans and Democrats equally represented.

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Mixing two hobbies
2m high auchinleck (500 x 281).jpg

No 'steel' involved...

@Gravity Aided Jim Aldis still behaving himself?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Bit quiet on the Trigging front here recently, but yesterday, as my car was in a garage for some work, I went for a hike around Ampthill.
I'd checked the databases for where to look, so had a route planned.

IMG_1594.png

First stop was No.1, Bedford Street for Flush Bracket 2286, cunningly hidden behind a couple of wheely bins! :smile:

IMG_1596.png

It's now a fireplace shop, having been, by the looks of it, a Pub.

I didn't bother with FB2287 at the nearby Drill Hall as it's inaccessible. :sad:

After a couple of miles walk, I was in Maulden to see if I could see FB2285 that is on a private house at 74 Amptill Road. It's all fenced off and inaccessible :sad:

Up a footpath and through a farm and swarm of flies, I was on my way to Ampthill Reservoir for a rivet.

IMG_1601.JPG

TP22419 is much easier to stand on than a full sizeTP :whistle:

IMG_1603.JPG

It's hidden atop the block building :smile:

amphill.png

I did check Houghton House, a 17th century ruin, as I was nearby, but didn't find any benchmarks.

IMG_1611.png

A quite successful mission concluded with a 5 mile walk into the bargain!

^_^

Top Bottom