The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Just out of interest, what are you using to locate these benchmarks? Until now I've simply been researching them and the visiting them, but I'm thinking about downloading them all onto Viewranger of some such.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just out of interest, what are you using to locate these benchmarks? Until now I've simply been researching them and the visiting them, but I'm thinking about downloading them all onto Viewranger of some such.

Absolutely nothing just looking around as I ride @Drago I do wish I listed them as I found them though.

Found this benchmark this morning outside the Union Chapel in Geddington it's normally obscured by parked cars when I ride past but no parked cars today and I spotted it for the first time .

IMG_20180909_064411200.jpg

Good hunting .

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
@PeteXXX Quite possibly old chap. I'll be heading up to Milton Malsor from the South via Blisworth, then was maybe going to look westwards towards Gayton, Then south and east back via Stoke Bruerne to bag a few benchmarks there. I know you come from North of me, so could maybe meet you in Milton Malsor?

If anyone is interested I've got full UK OS maps in Exlporer on Viewranger. I've downloaded a big file of GPX logs from the Benchmarks website and loaded it onto Viewranger, and it seems to overlay very nicely.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@PeteXXX Quite possibly old chap. I'll be heading up to Milton Malsor from the South via Blisworth, then was maybe going to look westwards towards Gayton, Then south and east back via Stoke Bruerne to bag a few benchmarks there. I know you come from North of me, so could maybe meet you in Milton Malsor?

If anyone is interested I've got full UK OS maps in Exlporer on Viewranger. I've downloaded a big file of GPX logs from the Benchmarks website and loaded it onto Viewranger, and it seems to overlay very nicely.
I’ll PM you tomorrow. I could meet you on the corner opposite the shop near yours?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
@PeteXXX Aye, could do matey, if you fancy riding out that far to start off. To be fair, you've been doing more distance than me lately so you're probably better able to handle it! Maybe 1030hrs?

Garforth Bridge
1830 - 1834
Carrying the (A642) 'Wakefield & HookMoor TurnPike' over the Leeds & Selby Railway Company line (now just 'Aberford Road')
Circa a mile eastwards of the Crawshaw Woods Bridge

Possibly(?) the first skew bridge, over a railway, as normally the road was realigned to cross 'squarely'
(the first 'skew' road bridge in Yorkshire though
https://britishlistedbuildings.co.u...18-garforth-and-swillington-ward#.W5UztPZFzIU

DSCF6577.JPG

It's on the left (southern) arch abutment
DSCF6576.JPG

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I use Memory Map, cross reference a couple of squares, take the coordinates and check the OS database, load into my GPX and set out. If I get two maybe three on a trip, I’m happy. Sadly all my near ones have been checked, yesterday I got a couple of fly by ones in just under forty miles.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I don't use anything to locate marks. I just keep eyes open and sometimes think "old building, none others nearby, wonder if there's a mark". I regularly look round churches anyway, so it just gives me something else to look out for. Must admit, I get a little frisson of excitement when I find one!

Top Bottom