The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
A cut bench mark from a walk a week or so ago. I thought there'd be one there (old church, only a couple of buildings nearby) and my wife even joined in the hunt for it. It's at Forest Chapel in Macclesfield Forest above Wildboarclough. The chapel dates to 1673. A lovely spot, although to cycle there involves going up my nemesis (I was walking that day, so walked down it).

20181109_125616.jpg

20181109_130115.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Nice, but chilly, pedal over to Stamford yesterday.

DSC_0202.JPG

Gretton Viaduct.

DSC_0198.JPG

A Flush Bracket on No58 (obviously!) opposite the Tollemache Arms, in Harrington.

DSC_0204.JPG

8 miles to go..

DSC_0207.JPG

4 miles to go..

DSC_0205.JPG

A clean BM on the Coach House Inn in South Luffenham.

:smile:

PeteXXX

Plenty of easy finds in Stamford itself.

Aptly, the first finds were on Petergate.

DSC_0208.JPG

DSC_0214.JPG

Opposite the Flush Bracket was a nice BM

DSC_0211.JPG

I could actually see it over the road (the Red Arrow was mine, not there in real time)

DSC_0212.JPG

A Utility plaque a few yards away as well!

DSC_0217.JPG

The local stone takes well to chiseling. Nice clean cuts.

DSC_0218.JPG

This old signpost still has some of the glass reflector beads in it. (the previous BM is in view as well.

DSC_0215.JPG

Must have been a Friday afternoon job.. Half finished BM on All Saints Street.

DSC_0223.JPG

Spotted as I was riding out of town, on an end terrace house.

There must be so much more to find there. Worth a revisit next time I have 100 miles in my legs :tongue:

PeteXXX

Final shots for the day, taken on the ride home.

DSC_0233.JPG

_20181125_190015.JPG

A couple of finds in Apethorpe (where Mr Bean has/had a house/mansion. I've never seen a hand carved Utility Marker like this before.

DSC_0229.JPG

And on the Collyweston Slater, the last BM of the day. I've driven past this so many times, but there's nowhere to park a truck, so I decided to divert there to grab it.

:smile:

tom73

Guru
Benchmark on St Mary's Church, Willen, Milton Keynes. A nice ride out and back.

View attachment 438675 View attachment 438676 View attachment 438677 View attachment 438678

Quick fact about Hooke No-one know's for sure what he looked like. Newton was not a great fan of Hooke hated him in fact.Then again he hated anyone who he though was a threat to his power. When he made the RS move to it's current location the only known portrait of Hooke magical went missing in the move. Artist Rita Greer is now working on a project to paint more paintings of Hooke than known one's of Newton. Also sadly no one has any idea of Hooke's final resting place as no recored can be found. A true science pioneer he is often over looked.

Top Bottom