The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
From yesterday, 4 bridges, a former yard, one tunnel, two churches & the site of a church, and this is all I got.
Boundry wall of the former church, Wakefield Road, Bradford.
CAM01064.jpg

In/On the wall of the last building before the former church
CAM01065.jpg

Coming down the opposite side of Wakefield Road.
CAM01066.jpg

There's a second to the right, all but invisible in the picture..
CAM01068.jpg

And on the Prospect Street side of
CAM01069.jpg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Cycling UKs chipwrapper arrived today. I see they've created the British Cycling Quest, with checkpoints all over the UK to visit. I kind of think they've pinched our OS trig/benchmark begging idea, dumbed it down and made it worse.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/british-cycle-quest
I started the BCQ in about 2004. I'm probably on about 50 now. After the first flush of getting those local to you, I then have to remember to check if there are any close when I go on holiday. It's helped now as I've downloaded the questions onto my phone, but I still have to remember to check.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Not sure about this one. On St John's church in the middle of Knutsford. It's damaged but perhaps my imagination is running away with me, but I think I can spot a cut bench mark. However, looking at the database, someone has placed it on the right side of the door (I would say this is on the left, as you look at it, perhaps they meant as you come out of the church). The opposite side of the doorway has had several stones replaced.
Anyone else see a cut mark or am I imagining it?

20181123_143822.jpg

20181123_144118.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A few of the finds from yesterday's ride from St Ives to Cambridge.

DSC_0234.JPG

All Saints church, Stives, has a poor BM on the buttress, but still vivible.. just.

DSC_0246.JPG

Girton church has a much clearer BM.

DSC_0248.JPG

On to Anstey Hall Coach House, in Trumpington, to spot a Flush Bracket.

DSC_0252.JPG

Then on the Old Mill bridge, Grantchester, a worn BM.

dark.png

No finds in Cambridge itself, but I was n't really looking, just riding through, and it was getting dark by the time I was heading back up the guided bus way!

:smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Not sure about this one. On St John's church in the middle of Knutsford. It's damaged but perhaps my imagination is running away with me, but I think I can spot a cut bench mark. However, looking at the database, someone has placed it on the right side of the door (I would say this is on the left, as you look at it, perhaps they meant as you come out of the church). The opposite side of the doorway has had several stones replaced.
Anyone else see a cut mark or am I imagining it?

View attachment 440773

View attachment 440774
Can see a mark, but no door in that first picture.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Sure I have done this benchmark before at Burton Latimer on the church.

View attachment 441024
We didn't grab that on our ride around the village, did we.

:smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
From the lower end of what has been the local race course, zoo, and during the Second World War, an emergeny airfieild. Now a golf course.
CAM01075.jpg

CAM01076.jpg

Just off a main road, that was at one stage a packhorse road. Before that, in parts, the Manchester to Ilkley road built by the romans.
CAM01078.jpg

CAM01079.jpg

Two Georges, and in their original locations.

Going to have to get back when there's a bit more light.

Last edited:
Top Bottom