The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Beautifully preserved utilities markers. That's the first sighting of the EMEB ones for me. Good skills Martin.

Saw at least 1 more but couldnt get a picture but it looked a bit beat up

View attachment 361888

On Boughton church, right on the corner facing the lane through the village.
@biggs682 has already bagged this one, but I couldn't resist the photo opportunity :okay:

considering its location ie roadside its well preserved

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've found that the churches I think, yeah, gotta be one there and make my way to them and nothing.

Quite a few of the house and farmhouse ones I've looked for have been recoated or rendered.
I have a quick look then on wandering.
It adds a bit of interest to your 'out'
I've exhausted most of the villages just to the east, a low success rate on one which hasn't changed much since I assume the beginning of the 20th century, I think 4 out of maybe 40 in the area.

I was at a church across the river and due to pots, planters etc outside the church door, I had moved one and was taking a pic on my knees, I heard a 'cough' and stood up and got politely asked what I was doing, I moved the pot back then explained, showing the photo and the rest of my haul that day. An MAMIL on his knees outside a church door, suspicious or what? Explaining, I just referred them to the benchmark website as I have to a few others. A lesson, don't delete any photos in case. Oh, and forgot the printout of what and where I was looking.
I've been on both sides of that one. (Been a parish warden a couple of times before,) wouldn't want anything moved around old St. Pauls' or St Matthews', but the quest makes it appropriate and acceptable.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I've been on both sides of that one. (Been a parish warden a couple of times before,) wouldn't want anything moved around old St. Pauls' or St Matthews', but the quest makes it appropriate and acceptable.
The lady concerned does some hoeing and keeping the flower bed areas tidy, she explained she just does this voluntary, it was looking neat and tidy. Impressed.
As I possibly said earlier, if I can't see what I'm looking for,
I don't prowl.
There's more than a few to hunt.^_^
I've been having a break from it, back with a vengeance soon.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
As I possibly said earlier, if I can't see what I'm looking for,
I don't prowl.
There's more than a few to hunt.^_^
I've been having a break from it, back with a vengeance soon.

Must admit I try and not stray more than 100 metres of my route .

I do 1 circuit of a church and if I don't find anything then back on with the ride .

I find myself looking at old buildings and boundary walls as I cycle through built up area's and it's amazing how many I have spotted on my normal routes that I cycle and never noticed then before .

Got a few new to me roads on Saturdays planned ride so fingers crossed.

classic33

Leg End Member
Any ideas, anyone?
CAM00267.jpg

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Must admit I try and not stray more than 100 metres of my route .

I do 1 circuit of a church and if I don't find anything then back on with the ride .

I find myself looking at old buildings and boundary walls as I cycle through built up area's and it's amazing how many I have spotted on my normal routes that I cycle and never noticed then before .

Got a few new to me roads on Saturdays planned ride so fingers crossed.
I'm known for my wandering, I never tell anybody where I'm going as it never goes to plan.
They can check where I am as I use APRS, a ham radio tracking system almost everytime I'm out.

I've got a spreadsheet with individual OS squares for places around me but as posted, not a great success rate.
I normally just wing it ...
I enjoy it,
I've a pile to add to the Bench Mark site at some point.

Have we got an official name for this yet?
My bike is alloy so I can't be a Steelie member

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I suggested Trig Bagging as a catch all, but OS Bagging might be more appropriate. But then the interesting historic utilities markers creep in here and there too, so good luck finding a name!

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Two sandshoes and a step.

Looks maybe a guide mark? masons mark?
I got this last week
green Rd butt (337 x 599).jpg

but CBM is on the parapet which I couldn't see but some bits are replaced
I suggested Trig Bagging as a catch all, but OS Bagging might be more appropriate. But then the interesting historic utilities markers creep in here and there too, so good luck finding a name!
We should bang our heads together, I see Gravity Added has something well back in the thread but I'm a black sheep as I don't have a Steelie ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
who knows , could it even by natural markings or wear and tear ?
The arrow is worn, but the top line appears on only two adjacent edging stones, which as far as I'm aware have never been moved. The stone to the right is about half an inch higher but no lines.

All are low set. Less than two inches high.

Top Bottom