The Chain...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Revell mixte recently acquired is a "10-speed" as in 2x5. But it had a 10sp chain on it, as in 10 sprockets. So, needs a proper 5-speed chain.
What's recommended by the vintage folks?

midlife

Guru

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I used to use black Sedisport cut from a bulk reel. They were about four quid each from most decent shops and ran like a dream. I miss "real" 10 speed...it never went wrong and my 14-17-21-24-28 freewheel meant I only really needed to shift at the front! 52 x 21 for the flat and 42 x 21 for uphill.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I miss "real" 10 speed...it never went wrong and my 14-17-21-24-28 freewheel meant I only really needed to shift at the front! 52 x 21 for the flat and 42 x 21 for uphill.

My drop bar Raleigh is still 10 speed and my Dawes is really modern, being 12! :laugh:
I've never seen any need to have more gears than that, and as you say the things work reliably, don't wear out in five minutes, aren't expensive, and aren't super-fussy about slight misalignments. Low hassle derailleur gearing.

And there was I thinking this was going to be about the classic Fleetwood Mac song, one of the most iconic bass lines ever :sad:

o/~ Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise. Running in the shadows, damn your love, damn your lies. And if you don't love me now, you will never love me again. I can still hear you saying, you will never break the chain... o/~

Always the F1 theme tune for me. :blush:

Aaaaaanyways, a standard 5 to 8 speed chain from Decathlon should probably do the job. They're by KMC, btw.

Gunk

Guru
My drop bar Raleigh is still 10 speed and my Dawes is really modern, being 12! :laugh:
I've never seen any need to have more gears than that, and as you say the things work reliably, don't wear out in five minutes, aren't expensive, and aren't super-fussy about slight misalignments. Low hassle derailleur gearing.

I do love my simple 5 speeder, especially with a friction changer, like you say, low hassle.

Top Bottom