The Cookson Chronicles - His actions as UCI president thus far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
B9MY4JQCIAARlbp.jpg

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

oldroadman

Veteran
What a crap letter.
Not entirely, but mainly I agree. It's a long road Mr Cookson has to travel, and his predecessors have left plenty of potholes. We would all like everything fixed instantly, but he is going through processes to, I hope, get proper stability. Or would the letter writer like to go back to the previous presidency, where decisions just came out which appeared to be a dictatorial edict, rather than thought through properly and advice taken?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I know this is being covered in several other threads but I wanted to add this from the perspective of Cookson's governance. We already know that no report along the lines of CIRC would have made it out under the two previous incumbents and Tygart sums it up nicely...

"We commend President Brian Cookson for his resolve and for promptly taking steps upon his election to secure the UCI’s servers and electronic data to preserve this important evidence of the UCI’s wrongdoing. We applaud President Cookson for publishing the CIRC Report uncensored," Tygart said. "As noted by the CIRC report, under President Cookson’s leadership the UCI is engaged in promising reforms of its anti-doping operations. We are encouraged by President Cookson’s commitment to strong partnerships with independent national anti-doping organisations whose only mission is to ensure a level playing field for all athletes."

oldroadman

Veteran
I saw a copy of the report earlier today, and one item that is given prominence is governance. The CIRC comment on how the UCI had become a dictatorship, evenyone excluded from influencing decisions, H&P just issued commands and that was that. Things seem to now be much changed and more open, so much the better. If Brian Cookson can just move UCI from their old ways of "this is what happens because the president says so" and to any question the answer is "we know best", then he will have done the sport a massive service. I met Hein once, he was handshaking all round, and after which I checked to see if my watch was still in place.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I saw a copy of the report earlier today, and one item that is given prominence is governance. The CIRC comment on how the UCI had become a dictatorship, evenyone excluded from influencing decisions, H&P just issued commands and that was that. Things seem to now be much changed and more open, so much the better. If Brian Cookson can just move UCI from their old ways of "this is what happens because the president says so" and to any question the answer is "we know best", then he will have done the sport a massive service. I met Hein once, he was handshaking all round, and after which I checked to see if my watch was still in place.
I think he's already done cycling a great service, though doubtless Resal would disagree. Mind, just about anyone who moved the power away from H&P, as you call them, would have done cycling a service! He's fronted up the release of the CIRC report and been quite forthright about his early days near the inner circle, calling on H to relinquish his honorary role. At the time of his election I feared a backlash against the ''new boy'' but he seems to have got a wide enough level of support and consensus (or I haven't seen the murmuring leaking out into the press, at any rate) to move things forward. It's an odd stage the sport is at - having to live with the doping problem, while other sports are still somewhere between ''reputational damage'' and plain denial - and yet, acknowledging the problem is part of the cure. Or the first part of the cure at least.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
On the upside for the UCI, they've acted swiftly to ban motor homes for riders at races... :rolleyes:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/06/news/no-motorhome-for-sky-as-uci-issues-new-rule_374618

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I wasn't sure where to post this. This seems as good a thread as any. Ructions between the UCI and ASO

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/19/us-cycling-tour-uci-idUSKBN0OZ1WW20150619

Tour de France organizers ASO (Amaury Sport Organisation) have threatened to withdraw their races from the International Cycling Union calendar over a lack of progress in the UCI's reform program, Reuters has learned.

More on this & related matters from INRNG:

http://inrng.com/2015/06/world-tour-reforms/#more-25338

Also, he got elected while wearing a beard when beards were hardly acceptable. Now everyone's got one. Draw your own conclusions.....
I had a beard before he got elected. I had one before Brad too.

I shaved it off today. For the umpteenth time, so will probably grow it back again since I'm a lazy nobber

Top Bottom