The "cowboy" start technique.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
[QUOTE 1254126"]
If you must
[/quote]

Gotta love the bloke who just walks on by like nothing happened
rolleyes.gif

yello

Used to do it but I reckon I stopped around the same time I started riding with cleats! I just can't imagine trying to clip-in with the leading foot... that's just asking for an off surely?!

Garz

Squat Member
Ha ha I get it now Paul, how embarrassed were you on a scale of 1-10?

snailracer

Über Member
The "cowboy" start is bad for your wheels and frame, because crashing is bad for your wheels and frame (and everything else).

tyred

Legendary Member
There is a old guy of about 75 who comes out on vintage bike rides with us. He has a Rudge three speed sports bike which he bought new in 1951, he still rides it regularily after all these years and always mounts it "cowboy" style. Thinking on Sheldon's article, I asked him if the wheels were still original, and he said they were. I think if a set of wheels cans survive being mounted cowboy style for 59 years, then it doesn't do too much damage.

OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Overwhelming evidence that it causes no damge then, (save for the crashes).

I'll stick to my cowboy ways then, (Sorry Sheldon) but I think I'll stop short of ambidextrous mounting. I've never tried it from the right and I feel that the result would probably be another youtube clip. (And thanks for that, very sporting of you!)

Top Bottom