The "cowboy" start technique.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I remember reading somewhere that the Pashley Mailstar postman's bikes were designed with extra stiffening around the down tube and bottom bracket precisely to resist decades of posties jumping on and off them that way.

If you watch, a frame flexes quite alarmingly around the bottom bracket when you do a cowboy mount. A steel frame could take this for years - and clearly they do - but you have to wonder about alloy or carbon frames, or racing wheels with most of the spokes missing.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Isn't increased lateral stiffness supposed to be exactly the advantage of alu/carbon over steel?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Either my bike is too high or I'm not flexible enough to do that.

I have to start with my left foot on the ground, bike at a 70 degree angle so that I can sit on it and then push the right pedal.

Is there any disadvantage to this?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 1254153"]
You have to have the bike at an angle to sit on it? If so then it maybe that your seat is to high.
[/quote]

If you're sitting on the saddle then you'll always need the bike at an angle to touch the ground - otherwise your saddle is too low. On my Brompton, with a low BB, it's just about possible to keep the bike stable while sitting on the saddle, but not on our tandem or my touring bike. With both of those, I need to be more or less off the front of the saddle to start.

Back to cowboys - I used to be able to do it, but it's a skill I've lost. I always use the "shimmy through the frame" ladies' style mount on the Brompton, which caused a moment of uncertainty this morning when I tried the same method with a conventional diamond-framed bike...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I still use it, mounting and dismounting, at times it just depends on the situation, though I'm also getting one side dominant with age. I really can't see how it can put any more pressure on the bike than standing on the pedals when coasting or out of the saddle climbing.

buggi

Bird Saviour
who is this sheldon blokey and why has he suddenly become the be all and end all in cycle advice???

I recently was told he said not to pump tyres up to max and all of the reasons why (including tyres splitting which i never have had in 8 years of cycling) bla bla bla.

so, i didn't

and the first trip out i got a puncture

so now i do.

besides, we all know that tyres are capable of taking a lot more pressure than what's stated on them, it's only down to the legal-eagles who want to play it safe. Max pressure works for me so why should i change just coz one bloke says i shouldn't?

zigzag

Veteran
i always mount and dismount cowboy style on my platform pedaled commuter bike, it's just a bit quicker that way. i wouldn't feel safe doing it with clicky pedals, one foot clicked in. what i would like to learn though is to hop on a bike while walking or running, but haven't got the balls to try it out.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
i always mount and dismount cowboy style on my platform pedaled commuter bike, it's just a bit quicker that way. i wouldn't feel safe doing it with clicky pedals, one foot clicked in. what i would like to learn though is to hop on a bike while walking or running, but haven't got the balls to try it out.
It's your balls that will let you know if you get it wrong.

snailracer

Über Member
who is this sheldon blokey and why has he suddenly become the be all and end all in cycle advice???

I recently was told he said not to pump tyres up to max and all of the reasons why (including tyres splitting which i never have had in 8 years of cycling) bla bla bla.

so, i didn't

and the first trip out i got a puncture

so now i do.

besides, we all know that tyres are capable of taking a lot more pressure than what's stated on them, it's only down to the legal-eagles who want to play it safe. Max pressure works for me so why should i change just coz one bloke says i shouldn't?
Perhaps you should actually go to Sheldon's website and read it for yourself, rather than criticise him based on second-hand information. The late Sheldon Brown was a knowledgable bike mechanic and rider who freely offered advice to anyone who asked, and was great at explaining why rather than expecting people to take it on faith.

In America, Sheldon is a household name, though few have heard of him in the UK.

I used to do cowboy starts, most of the time it worked, except when I crashed! Such as when I forgot I put my shopping in the rear basket and my foot got caught in it. And when I attempted a cowboy going up a steep hill, stalled just before I got my leg over, and CRASH! Then there was the time forgot I had the wrong trousers on, a bit too tight to get the leg over, CRASH!

I can't remember what Sheldon's main objection to cowboy starts is, to me the obvious issue (apart from an increased risk of crashing) is that bike wheels are only strong vertically, and are weak against the lateral forces exerted doing cowboy starts or standing up on the pedals (something else I remember Sheldon cautioning about).

And no, I don't pump my tyres to the max, I can't be bothered to explain why, perhaps Sheldon's website can shed light on why I would do such a preposterous thing.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's rather difficult with clipless pedals, even with toeclips and straps, unless you have flexible knees. It's also going to put quite a strain on highly dished wheels.

I'm old enough to (just) remember women in headscarves scooting bikes with full chaincases and skirt-guards from shop to shop, shopping bag hanging from the bars. Only when they'd finished their shopping would they scoot and mount the bike to ride home.

I can't remember what Sheldon's main objection to cowboy starts is, to me the obvious issue (apart from an increased risk of crashing) is that bike wheels are only strong vertically, and are weak against the lateral forces exerted doing cowboy starts or standing up on the pedals (something else I remember Sheldon cautioning about).

So, what happens when you lean a bike over in corners.....................

Top Bottom