The cycle show, itv4 tonight, has someone you'll know on it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
The telephone exchange a few hundred metres from me is being upgraded to superfast broadband in December, so I'm hoping that the Internet will soon become the media delivery system of choice.

Having said that - ITV's servers seem unable to cope with even the current demand in the evenings. ITV Player works fairly reliably here during the day but becomes virtually unusable in the evenings. (Buffering for 1-2 seconds every 3-4 seconds!)

For a long time to come online TV won't be able to provide for highly popular live TV. In the meantime a dish and LNB can be had for about £25 and a cheap Freesat box for under £30 from Argos. My dish and quad LNB was £30 including a satfinder signal meter, bought on Ebay, and we have one of the earlier Bush boxes in the kitchen which was £25 from Argos. We do have a more upmarket device in the living room, with Freesat+, but the cheap Bush is fine for SD TV.

The incentive here was probably greater than yours as our terrestrial TV reception is wrecked by a row of trees, digital (freeview) is not much better than analogue was in being frequently unwatchable. I'd recommend Freesat as a very good system free of Sky subscriptions for anyone who doesn't get a good Freeview service or only gets the basic version. Doesn't have Dave though, much to my brother's disgust.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For a long time to come online TV won't be able to provide for highly popular live TV. In the meantime a dish and LNB can be had for about £25 and a cheap Freesat box for under £30 from Argos. My dish and quad LNB was £30 including a satfinder signal meter, bought on Ebay, and we have one of the earlier Bush boxes in the kitchen which was £25 from Argos. We do have a more upmarket device in the living room, with Freesat+, but the cheap Bush is fine for SD TV.

The incentive here was probably greater than yours as our terrestrial TV reception is wrecked by a row of trees, digital (freeview) is not much better than analogue was in being frequently unwatchable. I'd recommend Freesat as a very good system free of Sky subscriptions for anyone who doesn't get a good Freeview service or only gets the basic version. Doesn't have Dave though, much to my brother's disgust.
Well, we do only get 'Freeview Lite' here, but at least I get perfect reception. I have a decent dual-channel Freeview recorder so I don't feel like splashing out on more kit even if it is cheap. (I'd also have to pay someone to put the dish up because I don't like ladders - especially since my brother-in-law fell off one and as a result needed a hip replacement! :eek:)

'User' suggested filmon for watching other TV channels online and it seems to be pretty good.

Top Bottom