The CycleChat Large SUV Owners Club thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I think that's the system that failed and killed many troops on manoeuvres off Dorset during WW2, isn't it?

ETA for clarity after checking
Whilst yes it is the system that was involved in the tragedy of the so-called 'Donald Duck' tanks, the system itself did what it was supposed to do, but they were launched too far offshore in conditions that were too rough and overlapped the skirting, with tragic consequences.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
@Drago

Have you seen this one before, of Trumpton on a shout, in a Rangie, in Londinium

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epME8YCNrR0

Not quite 'The Liver Run'. but good

Was the Liver run the guy in the SD1 who almost collapsed with fatigue when he'd completed the run ?

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I think that's the system that failed and killed many troops on manoeuvres off Dorset during WW2, isn't it?
DD Shermans were involved in the Slapton Sands disater when raiding German E-Boats came accross Exercise Tiger, a large scale rehearsal for the D-Day landings, and took the assembled vessels by surprise, sinking many and killing almost 1,000 US servicemen.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Going over to PMT in Northampton today with our drummer to look at some bits for the band, so I get to be chauffeured in a Porsche Macan. Vroom vroom!

They don't look very big, but parked up next to my XC90 one realises they are a fair sized old lump of SUV.

swansonj

Guru
Christmas gig today and we have to move a PA, four monitors, four amps, a 4 x 12 cab, mixing desk, drum kit, 5 guitars, 2 basses, 3 pedal boards, 3 mics and stands, enough cables to span a small ocean, and a stool.

Between the 5 of us we have my XC90, a Rangie P400e, and XC60 and a Porker Macan (bigger than it appears). Even with all that mighty luggsge space its still like playing a game of 3D tetris. Would have had no hope if we all drove normies.
I was intrigued by this. We faced similar needs twenty-odd years ago, in our case, transporting a varied assortment of children, cellos, trombones, tubas, conductor's rostrums, etc (as well as family camping trips and trips to the dump and B&Q). Our solution was to get a Zafira. Our current, second, Zafira is now 12 years old with 120,000 miles and we will run it till it drops. But I've been wondering what we will replace it with when the time comes, that still allows good load carrying. Your observation prompted me to look at some figures: (load capacity in litres)

XC90ZafiraGalaxy
7 seat configuration356140300
5 seat configuration10077101301
2 seat configuration185618602339

I offer no further comment other than the obvious, that a requirement for load volume alone does not in fact seem to force you inevitably to an SUV.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I loved my Zafira, very honest car, but nice to see the XC90 compares very favourably against it for capacity. I found it very comfortable for a chap of my dimensions, it drove reasonably well was easy to work on and very practical. Mine was even quite reliable! It had a lot to recommend it...but id never go back now.

The Galaxy looks great on paper, but has a serious drawback. Unlike the XC and the Zaffy, you need to actually remove the seats to access the greater load area. I don't have anywhere to store them, and discovering you need to remove sests to fit your B&Q shopping inside is a bit of a ballache. In the 90 you pull a lever, over it goes, no problem. It has great capacity, using it has massive consequences and you cant just whio seats out at the shops or put them back halfway theough a journey. Its a van or a car, but not both at the same time.

Got some 2.4 metre lengths of wood, battens and oak planks, in the XC yesterday with room to spare. They do not fit in a Zaffy I know that first hand.

The other issue is that when humans are being transported the cabin in the Zaffy is relatively cramped, and aside from the extra headroom pretty much an Astra sized cabin. The Galaxy is better (know the Galaxy well, Mrs D had an Alhambra for a spell) and that is obviously much better than the Zaffy, but still not in the same league as the XC.

And the XC can have a human in all 7 seats and still has the boot capacity of a small hatch remaining. Not so the Zaffy. The Galaxy has some too, but its awkwardly proportioned and narrows at the top, so unless your luggage is wedge shaped its actually very diffult to use. Also the Volvo's split tailgate means stuff youve wedged in there in 7 seat mode doesnt fall out when you open the boot.

So while the Galaxy trumps if you are happy to take out - bloody heavy - sests and have somewhere to store them, its not stellar the rest of the time. Under one brand/model name or another weve been there with all 3 and the Volvo aces it, but if I were forced to choose I'd take the Zaffy over the Galaxy again any day of the week.

And the Volvo also brings built in child booster seats that deploy at the toack of a lever, rear seat tv screens, heated seats all round (ventilated and heated massage jobs in the front), more sensibke accessories and frivolous toys.

And the Galaxy lacks wading capacity, AWD, ground clearance... it no use to me when it rains heavily and one village road floods and the other becomes a ford.

Some cars do one thing better, some do another, but only our large SUVs do it all reasonably well. They're the mama bears porridge of motoring - just right.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
So you both had Zafiras and they have never gone on fire :whistle: …..

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, going fast on the road isn't really my thing either, but then it's not my car. I suspect also that its carbon emissions are measured in lumps of coal.

So you both had Zafiras and they have never gone on fire :whistle: …..

Mine was the mk1, the model without the optional in dash inglenook fireplace. Chap in the village actually had his catch fire while he had his sprog in the car with him and he was not best pleased. He got fingetef for drink driving a short while later, so not having a car of his own turned out to be quite fortuitous in the end.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, the Macan was nice. Quite fast, as one would expect. A little more snug inside than one might expect from a car with those exterior dimensions, but very nicrly appointed.

I expect it exists for those who would love a 911 but whose elderly hips would not let them.

I didn't ask, but I did get rhe impression that it burns baby seals and not petrol.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I kind of reminds me of something, but can't quite place it.

Top Bottom