The CycleChat Large SUV Owners Club thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Ineos Grenadier, has anyone driven one, what did you think?
I’ve heard mixed reviews but was driving one for the day yesterday, what a piece of kit!
It’s most certainly doesn’t have the silent comfort of a Range Rover on the road but it is so capable off road. We were on a shoot yesterday in some serious deep Yorkshire mud, rough terrain and steep inclines and the Grenadier performed faultlessly.
View attachment 716293

View attachment 716294

View attachment 716295

View attachment 716296

My SiL's boss has one, raves about it apparently,

As Gunk alludes, there have been issues with quality but in that regards its still considered as in a different universe to the old or new Defender.

If I had the cash (just spent nearly all my liquid assets on a bigger house) and had a legitimate use for one (I dont) then I'd have one in a heartbeat. Other than the forthcoming new Land Cruiser, which may or may not be a competitor, it's pretty much in a league of one.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Be interesting how the pricing of the Grenadier vs the Defender plays out. £10k cheaper starting point for the Defender...but then, I suspect many cars like this are not actually brought by individuals, rather on company books so price may not be the be all and end all...

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The cheapest Defender is rather smaller and unlike the Grenadier has no petrol option at (more less) the same price for those that might desire it, so perhaps isn't really that much of a competitor?

For some reason, this was on the YouTube home-screen on my tablet earlier this morning

I’ve been in one of those Daihatsus when they were new
They made a Series 2 on seized springs seem comfortable!

I also remember seeing the Subaru estates around
Later a pick-up was released, plus a 3-door hatchback, & a saloon too!

View: https://youtu.be/M5wBHmHGlGs?si=sk8kawfOMlfLkq_I

Tuesday 6th

Allerton Park Caravan Site
Allerton Mauleverer
East of jct 47/A1 (the A59 junction)

I had to nip up to retrieve a few items that got forgotten on Sunday

IMG_9066.jpeg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I was driving a Defender X 130 P400 yesterday, no off-roading just a journey of almost 500 miles to Twickenham and back. This car is fantastic, such a smooth, quiet and comfortable ride, very different to the Defenders of old!
It’s massive with 8 seats (we were using 6), brilliant for long road trips.

The only downside would be the 3.0L 6 Cylinder Mild Hybrid petrol engine returning approximately 24 mpg!
IMG_9297.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9299.jpeg
    IMG_9299.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9300.jpeg
    IMG_9300.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I was driving a Defender X 130 P400 yesterday, no off-roading just a journey of almost 500 miles to Twickenham and back. This car is fantastic, such a smooth, quiet and comfortable ride, very different to the Defenders of old!

The only downside would be the 3.0L 6 Cylinder petrol engine returning approximately 24 mpg!
View attachment 721413

hope you were all suitable attired :whistle:
IMG_3568.jpeg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

The only downside would be the 3.0L 6 Cylinder petrol engine returning approximately 24 mpg!
View attachment 721413

Just awful that such an intimidating and polluting behemoth is celebrated.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
My XC90 was about the same weight (2.2 tonnes) and could manage low 40s when driven with moderate restraint, and thats a design upon which they started work newtly 30 years ago. That in 2024 LR can't move a similar weight without the same of better consumption is absolutely laughable.

Land Rover should be ashamed of themselves.

Gillstay

Über Member
My XC90 was about the same weight (2.2 tonnes) and could manage low 40s when driven with moderate restraint, and thats a design upon which they started work newtly 30 years ago. That in 2024 LR can't move a similar weight without the same of better consumption is absolutely laughable.

Land Rover should be ashamed of themselves.

Yes I was thinking of the lack of progress in thirty years as well. Madness.

Top Bottom