The "Cycling to Work from Home" Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Managed 20 miles tonight, a few hills too, very pleasant.

Roads quiet but populated by farkwits who seem to feel even more entitled than usual due to the lack of other traffic, colour me unsurprised.

I may be imagining it, but pedestrians, cyclists and horseriders all seemed more smiley than usual, I guess due to the fact that for many of us a passing wave on the road was our main social interaction of the day!

dhd.evans

Veteran
Riding today! Not sure how much or how many miles...

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Fabulous "commute" this morning, just over 20 miles and 500m climbing into the peaks in spring sunshine.

In less good news, France is apparently banning leisure cycling even solo.

slow scot

Veteran
Two kids in the house, one with scarlet fever and both with persistent dry coughs. Quarantine started on Tuesday this week for us.

Normal commute is 14mi daily so missed Tuesday out. Wife said to go out on Wednesday lest i go stir crazy so tucked in a 27 miler with some hill work to supplement....

View attachment 509190

No ride today.
Love your map. Will bring a knowing smile to all Douglas Adams fans!

Randombiker9

I’m not working from home but I’m still going out for a cycle sometimes like I did yesterday. Just remember be careful and responsible and be aware of sirens. (Most of the traffic was same as ussuall just a little less) and drivers be respectful of sirens. (Two ambulances had sirens on yesterday and no one could pull over (except us cyclists and motorbikes due to the bus blocking the lane)
As for cyclists be careful and responsible most people probably are but what I mean is it’s a good idea to overtake other cyclists with distance and depending how busy cycle paths are perhaps it’s best not to use them. Say with cycling if you cycle on your own on the road your very unlikely to come into contact with people unless you get into an accident but that’s what I mean by being responsible equally to both drivers and cyclists etc.. because the emergency services have enough to deal with. (I’m actually avoiding the river path till this gets quieter since there’s a lot of people down there probably running or walking dogs and I don’t want to risk falling off like before again) so I cycle on the roads anyway.
I don’t live by any big hills or countryside so I don’t have to deal with big hills just small hills lol. (Well there is one big steep hill but apart from that not many other hills that are big and steep)

Also just curious bicycle repair shops are still open? I’ve got a feeling they’ll close. What’s your opinion? After all havent pets stores put their pets on hold?

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am cycling my 20km commute to work most days. I set offat 4.30am and live in the wilds of Denmark. If I see one car, I am suprised. On the way home I may see 2 cyclists, tops and half a dozen cars.

I was going to ride this morning. But it has dropped to minus 5 and thats not fun.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Decided to Zwift this morning's commute. Too many idiots out still, so decided not to add to it. We will be on lock down this week.

Grievesy

Came into work today, seen 3 cars on a route that usually has in excess of 100 (I use the cycle path but it merges with roads at points)

saying that, it was 0630 and -1. They were probably still scraping the windscreens :biggrin:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
drivers be respectful of sirens.
Not here, they're not. They ignore them until the ambo is up their exhaust (probably listening to loud music), then panic and drive anywhere: cycleway, pavement, no matter if it was occupied, because they're sure the ambulance won't mind diverting to deal with their victims :cursing:

depending how busy cycle paths are perhaps it’s best not to use them.
Or it may be better to use them and leave the road for siren vehicles. Maybe avoid the narrow 2-ways where you can't pass others wide, but you're probably at less risk of transmission than huffing the air blown out of car cabins by their fans.

vickster

Legendary Member
Also just curious bicycle repair shops are still open? I’ve got a feeling they’ll close. What’s your opinion? After all havent pets stores put their pets on hold?
Yes they are, I used mine on Saturday. Plenty of key workers who cycle who may require them.
Pet shops aren't essential, you can buy pet food in shops and online

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Exquisitely beautiful spring morning, albeit rather chilly.

20 rolling miles in the sunshine, very quiet roads, fewer cyclists than I normally see too.

I'll be trying to keep this up until we're banned.

Top Bottom