The "Cycling to Work from Home" Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Felt a bit knackered after both a cycle and run yesterday. Of course, I won't be doing that again!

Rewarded for getting out by the treat of seeing a sparrowhawk on a wire.

Other than that, a very pleasant dawdle, kept on the flat, about 17 miles.

straas

Matt
Commuter had a flat rear tyre - tried to change it but I can't get the tyre off the rim at all!

Pumped up the wheels on the summer bike and took it out for a short spin. God it's so much nicer than my commuter.

That's me inside till tomorrow.

I don't have a massive garden, but I really feel for people at the moment living in flats :-(

vickster

Legendary Member
Commuter had a flat rear tyre - tried to change it but I can't get the tyre off the rim at all!

Pumped up the wheels on the summer bike and took it out for a short spin. God it's so much nicer than my commuter.

That's me inside till tomorrow.

I don't have a massive garden, but I really feel for people at the moment living in flats :-(
Parks are still open (for now) for walks etc albeit they shouldn't be off partying in them

straas

Matt
I can't see them staying open to be honest. The paths in my local park are less than 2m wide and people are strolling or jogging past each other.

Me and the wife took the dog and baby out yesterday and stuck to the grass, well away from other people - but no one else seemed to be practising any caution.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't see them staying open to be honest. The paths in my local park are less than 2m wide and people are strolling or jogging past each other.

Me and the wife took the dog and baby out yesterday and stuck to the grass, well away from other people - but no one else seemed to be practising any caution.
I hope people will be even more careful after last night's announcement

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Our local park can’t be closed. But since I’ll be sticking to one bout (a day) of exercise away from home I’ll likely be on bike with wife instead. Turbo on patio once sun moves round.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Set a process running that usually takes 30-35mins in the office; when i checked last it was... 4hrs. So, fark it, out on the bike:

1585069960749.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'll be surprised if it really can't, with the pictures from abroad with a metric shoot load of crowd control fences used to shut parks. I guess sporting events don't need the fences just now...

Not enough to go round all the parks in the country by a long long way.

hoopdriver

Guru
I think back to the 70's and train strikes and 3 day weeks. When all my colleagues were struggling to get into work and some were being put up in hotels and being coached in. Being a cyclist, I just cycled the 20 miles in. No showers, no cycle lanes, but it was great fun and did not take much longer than my train journey had. It was this that started me commuting into London and I carried it on until I retired. Not always into London and not every day, but some hefty commutes.

I wonder if current train/tube/bus commuters, will think that cycling in will be a healthier option and prompt them to start and continue commuting by bike.
That’s how I got back into cycling as an adult - a tram drivers strike in Melbourne in the early 1990s left me without a way to get into my job in the city. I dug out my old tourer from university days, many years earlier, and set off for the office. Never looked back. Never bought another tram ticket. It’s been nearly thirty years now...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Fines will come.

I wonder if any parks with narrow paths will be made into one way systems like for Parkrun. That's a bit "prison exercise yard" for me but many seem to like it.

Parks in Brussels "Forest" District that are too difficult to police, because of narrow paths in valleys and so on, have been closed.

Top Bottom