The "Cycling to Work from Home" Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I whipped up bits of the A10 yesterday and today. Very quiet. Not sure that I quite dare try the A47 yet.

I could (and am tempted) to hit some of the A92 today because the wind:

1585835947585.png

will provide many a Strava KoM! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Managed 25 miles after work today. Pancake flat ride in stark contrast to yesterday.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yesterdays ride to work was great but I decided to give it a miss this morning. 20kph wind and horizontal sleet. It has turned out quite nice now and I will be going home soon. ^_^

dhd.evans

Veteran
Got exactly 0 miles during last week and it was massively detrimental to my mental health. I was irritable, edgy and generally shitty in the house. Wife insisted i go out but work drew me back in daily.

Friday, two days before i was meant to be getting married (postponed to September for now!) i cracked. Wife told me to go...

1586852776085.png

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Beautiful pre 7am ride this morning, a little frosty but bright early sunshine.

I've managed a "ride to work from home" every day for the last 4 weeks now 😀

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Now five weeks into working from home.

How many "cycles to work from home"?

Evidence attached (normally I don't bother with Strava for commuting, but it's been really good for motivation during this). I've found the motivation difficult some of the time, but the weather has been amazing.

Feeling properly smug, just the kind of self- congratulatory mamil that the rest of society absolutely loathes.

simongt

Guru
My 25 mile round commute is so much more pleasant just now; far less motor traffic, but a lot more pedestrians, joggers, dog walkers etc.. Hellos, stops for a wee chat; allowing for that social distance - ! :thumbsup: Still puzzled by the occasional muppets who still cycle on the footpaths or press the button on a light controlled crossing. :whistle:

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Gone a bit quiet here... how is everyone doing?

I've still got a 100% track record, 31 rides in 6 weeks and a day of lockdown, and maintaining my 20 miles a day average. The perfect weather has helped enormously.

Very lethargic this morning, 15 miles but the flattest 15 possible from my door.

Sorry, not commented yet. My commute is 8.5 miles each way and I've moved over to the dark side this year (recumbent) so am using this time to make myself cycle and get used to riding it, build up my 'bent muscles, shake down various alterations/improvements I've made etc etc. Traffic her in South Lincs/North Cambs has dropped off a little but still seems to be fairly regular, albeit as has already been observed everyone is driving faster. There are definitely more family groups out and about, the road surfaces aren't magically improving themselves and the recent run of clear/sunny weather is about to come to a screeching halt. Ah well, it's all miles isn't it? :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Still puzzled by the occasional muppets who still cycle on the footpaths or press the button on a light controlled crossing. :whistle:
I think many people don't realise that red man means "give way" in law and are scared that they'll get fined for RLJing or jaywalking (eww) by all the police who are very visible now.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

So, now at the end of May:

I've managed to "cycle to work from home" every working day, no misses yet.

Total distance under lockdown a tad under 3,000km (nearly 1000 of that on the tandem).

I've cycled every day in May - could well be a first for me - and covered over 1500km in May.

No single ride over 105km.

The weather being beautiful has helped.

rivers

How far can I go?
I've been making tweeks since my TT bike arrived last month. This morning, I left the house around 7:30 and went off for a 30 mile ride before work to see how it felt. It was a glorious morning, most cars were patient, except for the ASDA lorry behind me on the A4 in Saltford. Apparently I should have been on the shared path while bombing along at close to 30mph. I'm still getting used to the handling on the extensions (and I think I need to cut them down slightly), but overall a lovely ride in the sunshine this morning.

Solocle

Über Member
This is what my commute home would look like... happened to be my first century ride.
But that's Uni, so...

Regarding roads, I've ridden on the A35 and A303, which would normally be "no go". The A35 was actually on the 31st May! But I did check that traffic levels were acceptable before committing:

The A303 was deeper into lockdown, end of March and early April.

Both involved sections of single carriageway that were frankly more hairy than the dual carriageway sections, although I think that's a natural consequence of a trunk road swapping between the two.

In normal times, I've found myself on the A34, at 6pm, which really was hellish...:eek:

GetFatty

Über Member
I've started leaving the house at 5.30am for a 26 mile spin out to Biggin Hill airport. I would go further but my meetings tend to start at around 8am so I don't really have time. Hopefully there'll be some quiet days when I can go a little further

The roads are nice and quiet. The south circular is just picking up traffic wise on my return (but going in the other direction)

Top Bottom