"The cyclist was causing an obstruction"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Police are appealing for witnesses after a cyclist threw a drink at a driver and was abusive on Twickenham Bridge earlier this year.

The rush hour clash, on the A316 towards Richmond on Thursday, March 13, was sparked when the 27-year-old female driver asked the cyclist why he was not using the cycle lane.

She stopped at a red light at about 7.20am and said to the cyclist, a white man wearing a light blue jacket, if he knew there was a cycle path.

The cyclist, aged between about 45 and 50-years-old, had been cycling in the middle of the busy A road and causing an obstruction.

After he was confronted he shouted and swore at the driver and threw a drink at her before he cycled off towards the Richmond Circus roundabout.

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtim...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Is it, like, the law that if a journalist writes a story about cycling it has to be pig-ignorant? The damp lady driver is ignorant of the Highway Code, so is Amy Dydurch, who wrote that article.

jay clock

Massive member
It sounds like a case of assault not obstruction

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Well, we've only got the driver's version, and she plainly doesn't know the Highway Code says faster cyclists should use the road rather than a cycle lane, and there are often good reasons for taking primary, and I for one would appreciate it if people didn't yell from cars as I'm cycling because I'm concentrating on staying alive.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Maybe the cyclist was drunk and I'm sure the motorist's comment to him wasn't along the lines of : 'Sorry to bother you but did you not realise there is cycle lane'.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well, we've only got the driver's version, and she plainly doesn't know the Highway Code says faster cyclists should use the road rather than a cycle lane, and there are often good reasons for taking primary, and I for one would appreciate it if people didn't yell from cars as I'm cycling because I'm concentrating on staying alive.

Most people find this effortless, but the fact you do not is hardly surprising!

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

I reckon the driver was on smack. If he was in the middle of the road how could she have a conversation with him at the lights? It's quite hard to throw things behind you while cycling. She sounds like a pathological liar with sociopathic tendencies and a bubble wrap popping addiction.

snorri

Legendary Member
Jolly bad form on the part of the cyclist who should have been pleased to have had the opportunity to share his knowledge of roadcraft with the driver. Besides, sharing soft drinks is just so unhygenic.

Crankarm

Guru
Why didn't the filth tell her they couldn't and wouldn't do anything? This is what generally happens if a cyclist reports that a car driver / moton has tried to or actually driven into one of us. She is clearly wasting police time. They could be doing something so much more constructive like cooking the crime figures, making false statements, excepting bungs or even killing people - RIP Ian Tomlinson or all those that lost their lives at Hillsborough.

PK99

Legendary Member

the road in question has an excellent cycle path alongside

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4588513,-0.3163791,91m/data=!3m1!1e3

plus can you point to the HWC section that says the bit i highlight?

As I drove into work this morning there was a car in the middle of the road going slower than me and causing an obstruction.
Maybe I should have pulled alongside at the next junction and asked them why they didn't use another road?

Slow news day.

Meanwhile, police reveal that new tailgating and lane hogging penalty powers have been used 8000 times in a year, whereas those driving without insurance have been caught 150,000 times.
Forget dangerous driving as long as the money is coming in!

Top Bottom