"The cyclist was causing an obstruction"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unless her actions physically threatened the cyclist or he was legitimately fearing for his safety by a verbal threat from her, nothing she could have said could justify assaulting her.

Luckily the police are looking for witnesses to assess if either of the first 2 options happened.

vickster

Legendary Member

Reactions: 4F
Yes, so where does it say "faster cyclists should use the road rather than a cycle lane"?

You still haven't got the hang of this quoting stuff have you? You give your interpretation of something, and claim you are quoting. Time and time again.

The Highway Code could be interpreted differently by some, to mean: Inexperienced cyclists should stick to the road rather than try to negotiate the many obstructions on cycle lanes, such as broken glass, other debris, pedestrians, tree roots, dogs and their waste, parked vehicles, emerging vehicles, drain covers, pot-holes etc. etc..

You're quite correct, it is not in the Highway Code

It is (or was, I can only find a web archive of the document) in the Department for Transport 2004 Local Transport Notes on Walking and Cycling: Annex D

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....e/2004/ltnwc/annexdcodeofconductnoticefor1688

"Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road."

PK99

Legendary Member
t
You're quite correct, it is not in the Highway Code

It is (or was, I can only find a web archive of the document) in the Department for Transport 2004 Local Transport Notes on Walking and Cycling: Annex D

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ /http:/www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/archive/2004/ltnwc/annexdcodeofconductnoticefor1688

"Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road."

that was a cconsultation document not published guidance. the proposed guidance my or may not gave been deemed appropriate.

was it ever formally promulgated as official policy?

t

that was a cconsultation document not published guidance. the proposed guidance my or may not gave been deemed appropriate.

was it ever formally promulgated as official policy?

That'll explain the archiving, although the 18mph figure is oft-quoted and attributed to various sources. FWIW it would seem a very sensible guideline, a shared-use I use one way on my way to work for about 1/4 mile (because it's on a tram route on a slight uphill and it is convenient) is fine to use at a gentle pace, but cyclists coming downhill often use it far too fast - given there are lamp-posts and hedges I have had 2 near misses with downhill cyclists using the cycle path (as 30mph is an easy speed heading that way, no need to keep crossing tramlines, just stay primary and at the speed limit)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you are heading towards St Margarets on the so-called cycle path what do you do when it ends? Four lanes of traffic to cross iirc?

If heading towards Richmond the so-called cycle path has give way lines at junctions. Why? And wouldn't you have to dismount or wait for the crossing lights to cross the entrance to the swimming pool? Why?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Wow! a cyclist threw a drink at some gob..... and the police appeal for witnesses to this "crime"!:rolleyes:

Grendel

Veteran
Police are appealing for witnesses after a cyclist threw a drink at a driver and was abusive on Twickenham Bridge earlier this year.

The rush hour clash, on the A316 towards Richmond on Thursday, March 13, was sparked when the 27-year-old female driver asked the cyclist why he was not using the cycle lane.

She stopped at a red light at about 7.20am and said to the cyclist, a white man wearing a light blue jacket, if he knew there was a cycle path.

The cyclist, aged between about 45 and 50-years-old, had been cycling in the middle of the busy A road and causing an obstruction.

After he was confronted he shouted and swore at the driver and threw a drink at her before he cycled off towards the Richmond Circus roundabout.

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtim...rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Is it, like, the law that if a journalist writes a story about cycling it has to be pig-ignorant? The damp lady driver is ignorant of the Highway Code, so is Amy Dydurch, who wrote that article.

Have you tried writing to the paper and putting them right?

Grendel

Veteran
The cyclist was not riding primary he was riding down the middle white line, the drink he threw was in a 1/2 litre glass bottle. The driver concerned that the cyclist was drunk was just trying to help him ride in a suitable area when he became abusive.
Where does that come from? Neither riding on the white line, nor a glass bottle are mentioned in the report.

the road in question has an excellent cycle path alongside

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4588513,-0.3163791,91m/data=!3m1!1e3

plus can you point to the HWC section that says the bit i highlight?
As someone who cycles over Twickenham bridge often the facilities are not that good on either side. I made a video years ago about using the cycle path or the road a little further along between Chalkers corner and Richmond. Its here - aprox 2 miles on road takes you over 2 roundabouts and a set of lights, using the facilities takes you into the door zone, through narrow pavements shared with bus stops, over about 23 junctions where vehicles turning across you had priority and several driveways, you also have to dismount twice and push your bike - unsurprisingly it takes twice as long and is more dangerous.

Top Bottom