"The cyclist was causing an obstruction"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely drivers not having insurance is a serious issue, and not just about money. That would be VED

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
59-82: Rules for cyclists | nidirect
www.nidirect.gov.uk/59-82-rules-for-cyclists

Highway code rules specifically for cyclists. ... Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills.

Yes, so where does it say "faster cyclists should use the road rather than a cycle lane"?

You still haven't got the hang of this quoting stuff have you? You give your interpretation of something, and claim you are quoting. Time and time again.

The Highway Code could be interpreted differently by some, to mean: Inexperienced cyclists should stick to the road rather than try to negotiate the many obstructions on cycle lanes, such as broken glass, other debris, pedestrians, tree roots, dogs and their waste, parked vehicles, emerging vehicles, drain covers, pot-holes etc. etc..

Last edited:
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Do you think the Highway Code is suggesting you go faster on cycle lanes? have you considered cycle training?

Most cycle lanes are about a metre wide. If you can find anywhere in the Highway Code where it says it's safe to cycle at speed along here I'd like to see it.

_41423728_cyclelanebollards203ctc.jpg

Cycle lanes are for children or insecure, wobbly cyclists. When the discussion about the amendments took place in 2007 it was agreed the clause should be inserted that cycle lanes are not for everyone, for the obvious reasons in that picture. if you think it's safe to cycle above ten mph on that lane you need cycle training. Don't you adjust your speed according to lane width? Given a cycle lane or a road, which would you feel safer cycling at speed on?

The cycle lanes round there are also abused by motorists ;

http://road.cc/content/news/80582-t...ally-using-cycle-lane-police-launch-crackdown

So the driver yelled at someone doing nothing wrong and demanded he use a more dangerous facility.

PK99

Legendary Member

PK99

Legendary Member
Do you think the Highway Code is suggesting you go faster on cycle lanes? have you considered cycle training?

So the driver yelled at someone doing nothing wrong and demanded he use a more dangerous facility.

twickenham bridge.JPG

the cycle lane and road in question
http://goo.gl/gbQmnG

BTW, where does it say the driver yelled at the cyclist? Or in fact "demanded" anything?

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

The DfT has an excelent "Code of conduct for cyclists"The following key messages are suggested as the basis for a code of conduct notice for cyclists. The code could be posted at points of entry and at intervals along the route. This will be especially useful when the facility is new.

* * If a feature segregating cyclists from pedestrians is present, keep to the cyclist’s side. This will be indicated on blue and white road signs and by cycle logos on the surface.
* * Ride on the left hand side of the area available to you. If you need to overtake another cyclist, give a gentle ring on your bell or say ‘Excuse me’.
* * When coming up behind pedestrians, always pass them at a safe distance, and slowly enough so that you could avoid them if they made a sudden change in direction.

* * Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road.

The Highway Code is clear, unless you think their reference to experience means they think children and nervous cyclists should use the road?

There is no cycle lane along there, only a shared use footpath that rightly pedestrians complain about sharing because it is just a footpath. The London road roundabout (two before the bridge) has no safe crossing for pedestrians or cyclists, and just before reaching the bridge, anyone using the footpath/cyclepath have to cross this side street, which is very dangerous as cars enter it at 40mph without indicating.

Woman is an idiot.

View attachment 43848
the cycle lane and road in question
http://goo.gl/gbQmnG
there is that section, that runs a full 0.8 miles.

PK99

Legendary Member
The DfT has an excelent "Code of conduct for cyclists"The following key messages are suggested as the basis for a code of conduct notice for cyclists. The code could be posted at points of entry and at intervals along the route. This will be especially useful when the facility is new.

* * If a feature segregating cyclists from pedestrians is present, keep to the cyclist’s side. This will be indicated on blue and white road signs and by cycle logos on the surface.
* * Ride on the left hand side of the area available to you. If you need to overtake another cyclist, give a gentle ring on your bell or say ‘Excuse me’.
* * When coming up behind pedestrians, always pass them at a safe distance, and slowly enough so that you could avoid them if they made a sudden change in direction.

* * Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road.

The Highway Code is clear, unless you think their reference to experience means they think children and nervous cyclists should use the road?

that is very interesting, i am already aware of it as a recommendation FOR a code of conduct, but cannot find such a published code, perhaps you can help me out?

It is not, as far as i know part of the highway code, as you still seem to be claiming, . I'm happy to be proved wrong on that. Can you point me to the bits you refer to?

By the way, do you know the speed the cyclist was doing on the road at the time. I generally find that particular cycle path quicker than the road esp when the road is busy at commuter times

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
I hit an on coming cyclist (who was on wring side of road to begin with) on a bike lane once as i was just leaving town 10k into a 300k endurance ride. It was the kind that is actually painted on the road, left unconcious, Broke my nose and hair line fracture in my sternum.
Forks broken in half and ultegra front wheel destroyed too.

Personally will never ride any where near a bike lane and haven't for 10years.

vickster

Legendary Member
Because cars on the road don't pose any sort of threat to cyclists :sad:. Another reason why it is correct that the legal requirement for car insurance should be enforced!

Big Nick

Why didn't the filth tell her they couldn't and wouldn't do anything? This is what generally happens if a cyclist reports that a car driver / moton has tried to or actually driven into one of us. She is clearly wasting police time. They could be doing something so much more constructive like cooking the crime figures, making false statements, excepting bungs or even killing people - RIP Ian Tomlinson or all those that lost their lives at Hillsborough.
Good job you've no axe to grind.....

Reactions: 4F

screenman

Legendary Member
The cyclist was not riding primary he was riding down the middle white line, the drink he threw was in a 1/2 litre glass bottle. The driver concerned that the cyclist was drunk was just trying to help him ride in a suitable area when he became abusive.

cd365

Guru
I hope the police put her right and informed her that cyclists do not have to use a cycle path. I somehow doubt it.
Nasty cyclist and innocent female car driver, who found it within her to poke her nose in when she was in the wrong!

Top Bottom