The dangers of rechargeable lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like they don't (at least not always) supply a charger
"Zecto is supplied with Micro USB to USB cable and easily charged from any USB plug. Charging indicators built into side LEDs."

(I'm pretty sure my non-Lezyne rechargeable came with a cable, but not a wall wart.)

Most don't - they rely on chips/resistors in the light to regulate the charge.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
4 pages and no mention of cree/chinese/ebay

It's early in the year I suppose

OP
OP
U

User33236

4 pages and no mention of cree/chinese/ebay

It's early in the year I suppose
I could understand better if it was the li-ion batteries in the el-cheapo pack for my cree/chinese/ebay light that had gone pop. These have always been very closely monitored during charge

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I could understand better if it was the li-ion batteries in the el-cheapo pack for my cree/chinese/ebay light that had gone pop. These have always been very closely monitored during charge
True. My annoyance with battery stories is that people often (usually battery/charging issues) inadvertantly blame cree, cree don't make self combusting lights or batteries, they make led chips..

All will become clear within the next two months

OP
OP
U

User33236

Any lipo battery can go bang. You just need to be careful. They carry 4.2volts and a fair amount of amps, not like your AA's. A shorted circuit, and they very quickly overheat.

Protection circuits that limit current/volts are a big cause of failures.
Best batteries I have come across for low internal resistance hence stonkingly high short circuit current were Cyclon batteries fitted to the old Graseby infusion pumps. As it was a medical device batteries not routinely changed during servicing. Even the old ones in a reasonably flat state would set the top of them on fire if shorted out for only a few seconds.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most lights don't meet the RVLR recommendations, and neither I or the police are bothered.
And that's part of why this country's going to hell in a handbasket, but we've had the lighting laws discussion a few times before.

If you can clearly be seen, then fine ! Not one of my lights are RVLR. The Police, the third party's insurer all thought my cycle lights were more than adequate - just the driver did not meet minimum standards ^_^.
To be fair, a driver shouldn't hit an unlit person walking along/across the road either - so because their driving was substandard, your lights are basically irrelevant.

Forgive my ignorance, but I have never seen lights that either claimed they meet these regs or disclaim they don't. Do most of the other lights on the market do this?
No, most lights sold in the UK are junk from irresponsible companies sold by irresponsible retailers. A market for lemons and caveat emptor - if the police ever do put their own house in order and start fining illegally lit vehicles, you ain't gonna get the money back from Half-odds, Evens or Wriggle-out-of-responsibility. Strangely, Chain Reaction point out that Lezyne lights aren't enough in Germany, but don't bother to mention that they're not enough in the UK either.

Top Bottom