The dangers of rechargeable lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
However now you have brought Lezyne up in the context you did I presume you have evidence to defend yourself in any defamation lawsuit that may, hypothetically, result? :whistle:
I'm just saying who I thought we were discussing based on the posts above.

Anyway, whoever it is, is it a responsible company that has responded to a report of one of its products catching fire within a working day?

OP
OP
U

User33236

I'm just saying who I thought we were discussing based on the posts above.

Anyway, whoever it is, is it a responsible company that has responded to a report of one of its products catching fire within a working day?
Yes. Mrs SG received a message yesterday evening from the manufacturer asking for full contact details and will then pass it on to their UK supplier to investigate 'as a matter of urgency'.

Up until now I have not mentioned Lezyne anywhere in this thread :rolleyes:

However now you have brought Lezyne up in the context you did I presume you have evidence to defend yourself in any defamation lawsuit that may, hypothetically, result? :whistle:
Assuming it is lezyne, I don't think it's defamatory to say that their battery flew 45cm and burnt your rug, if it's true. Possibly making broader statements about their quality control might be, but no one has done that.

And if there was to be any suing, it's @Shaun, @fossyant, @Tom B, @RideLikeTheStig, and possibly you before @mjr.
Begins with "L".
If you are in the UK contact upgrade bikes who are the UK agent. I found most helpful when I had issues with my Lezyne light.

Lezyne will only point you to them anyway
Lets assume its lezyne.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Assuming it is lezyne, I don't think it's defamatory to say that their battery flew 45cm and burnt your rug, if it's true. Possibly making broader statements about their quality control might be, but no one has done that.

And if there was to be any suing, it's @Shaun, @fossyant, @Tom B, @RideLikeTheStig, and possibly you before @mjr.
The latter, I am presuming jokingly, was the only one to appear to associate Lezyne as a brand that was not responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes. Mrs SG received a message yesterday evening from the manufacturer asking for full contact details and will then pass it on to their UK supplier to investigate 'as a matter of urgency'.
Be careful with the light. Once it's sent back you lose all proof.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The latter, I am presuming jokingly, was the only one to appear to associate Lezyne as a brand that was bot responsible.
I've no qualms about repeating that I regard Lezyne as irresponsible due to selling "Drive" lights without marking them clearly as additional lights which do not satisfy the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, so are unsuitable for actually driving a bicycle on our roads. I'm pretty confident that calling them irresponsible for that is fair comment and it would be surprising if they started screaming defamation for what is basically a bad review! I'm surprised anyone would think they're so petty.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Be careful with the light. Once it's sent back you lose all proof.
I plan to get my SLR set up and take plenty of photos of it before it leaves our possession

OP
OP
U

User33236

I've no qualms about repeating that I regard Lezyne as irresponsible due to selling "Drive" lights without marking them clearly as additional lights which do not satisfy the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, so are unsuitable for actually driving a bicycle on our roads. I'm pretty confident that calling them irresponsible for that is fair comment and it would be surprising if they started screaming defamation for what is basically a bad review! I'm surprised anyone would think they're so petty.
Don't forget my original post on this point had a :whistle: in it :laugh:

On your basis then I presume the vast majority of light brands in the UK are irresponsible?

Anyway lets not get distracted from the dangers of rechargeable lights. Lezyne in this case have been acting in a responsible and concerned manner to date, as one would expect, but they are not the only manufacturer to have instances of Li-ion batteries fail dramatically during charging.

I certainly am changing my charging practices in chargers used, location where there are charged, placing them in a fire resistance container whilst charging and finally, and probably most importantly, not having them on charge when I am not in the room.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any lipo battery can go bang. You just need to be careful. They carry 4.2volts and a fair amount of amps, not like your AA's. A shorted circuit, and they very quickly overheat.

Protection circuits that limit current/volts are a big cause of failures.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
If they want to they will be able to brush you off as I would wager that if you read the safety info that came with the light it will state you should only charge it with the supplied charger. A reputable company may offer you a free light on a no liability basis just to get rid of you and any potential problems.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most lights don't meet the RVLR recommendations, and neither I or the police are bothered. If you can clearly be seen, then fine ! Not one of my lights are RVLR. The Police, the third party's insurer all thought my cycle lights were more than adequate - just the driver did not meet minimum standards ^_^.

Top Bottom