The dangers of rechargeable lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
In this situation it was plugged into a genuine Apple charger thus presumably, though wrong on that front, giving a charging combination that was, relatively, safe.

I presume that it being charged through a USB port? In which case, the light was being supplied with 5 Volts. The common lithium ion cells should be charged to a maximum of 4.2 V. My suspicion is that the charger circuit failed (short circuit is a very common failure mode), allowing the full 5 V to get to the battery. Even a high quality cell will go pop quite spectacularly if treated that way.

If the light was made by who I suspect, then it's (should be) of reasonable quality. You ought to email them that photo, and explain what happened. It could be a design fault, or that they got a batch of counterfeit charge supervisor chips (that sort of thing is surprisingly common!).

OP
OP
U

User33236

I presume that it being charged through a USB port? In which case, the light was being supplied with 5 Volts. The common lithium ion cells should be charged to a maximum of 4.2 V. My suspicion is that the charger circuit failed (short circuit is a very common failure mode), allowing the full 5 V to get to the battery. Even a high quality cell will go pop quite spectacularly if treated that way.

If the light was made by who I suspect, then it's (should be) of reasonable quality. You ought to email them that photo, and explain what happened. It could be a design fault, or that they got a batch of counterfeit charge supervisor chips (that sort of thing is surprisingly common!).
The manufacturer has been emailed the photo and the circumstances explained to them. As yet no answer has been received but it is still early days.

The charger has been checked out (I am an engineer who has over 25 years experience repairing and servicing medical equipment so have ample access to test gear) and is operating correctly. However it has been quarantined at home pending a response from the manufacturer and an alternative charger is currently being used, under supervision, for the remaining lights we have.

The manufacturer has been emailed the photo and the circumstances explained to them. As yet no answer has been received but it is still early days.

The charger has been checked out (I am an engineer who has over 25 years experience repairing and servicing medical equipment so have ample access to test gear) and is operating correctly. However it has been quarantined at home pending a response from the manufacturer and an alternative charger is currently being used, under supervision, for the remaining lights we have.

Still irresponsible not to name them. By naming the company you would be giving people a heads up, and the potential to avoid buying products with safety issues.

Is it Lezyne?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Still irresponsible not to name them. By naming the company you would be giving people a heads up, and the potential to avoid buying products with safety issues.

Is it Lezyne?
Looks like a Lezyne Road Drive to me. I was just about to re-charge mine! They cost north of £20, don't they?

Edit: Sorry, Micro Drive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User33236

Is it Lezyne?
Without carrying out a root cause analysis, which the manufacturer has been offered all the evidence and materials for them to carry one out, it is irresponsible to 'name and shame'. A responsible company will then organise a coordinated recall, if required, of any unit suspected of being unsafe.

In the meantime it is not unreasonable to suggest care is taken when recharging ALL lights as have already been mentioned in this thread.

On the other hand if they don't respond...................

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom B

Guru
If you are in the UK contact upgrade bikes who are the UK agent. I found most helpful when I had issues with my Lezyne light.

Lezyne will only point you to them anyway

We had a G Ram vac charger blow out of the wall socket at approx 2 months old, all company did was replace charger.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Have Boeing not had the occasional similar problem in the 787?

You could say that.

ntsb_787_battery_medium.jpg

emilyisfun

Mrs SG placed one of her USB rechargeable lights on chanrge in the kitchen yesterday and came back through to watch a bit of tv. The best part of an hour later she went back through to make a coffee and found her lightabout a foot and a half away from the charger in the centre of a burnt section of rug. Thankfully, although keep, the rug was made of fire resistant materials and had extinguished itself.

The Li-ion battery within the light and the light itself has fared less well.

View attachment 366684
was this some cheep china bought stuff? where did you buy it?

Johnno260

Veteran
I'm considering getting a light that takes AA or AAA cells.

Every light I get, I'm disappointed with anyway.

I think it was Hope that was suggested to me?

Top Bottom